Megsui(?) asian pear

Out of all of the fruit trees that I have planted, my best one by far has been my Shinseiki asian pear. Because of this I have planted Nijisseiki, Hosui, Raja, and have also bought my mom Atago for Mothers day last year. I haven’t gotten fruit from my Hosui or Raja trees, or my mother’s Atago yet, but I decided to add even more asian pear varieties again this year. This winter I have ordered scion wood (from multiple different sources) for Mishirasu, Olympic/Korean Giant/Dan Bae, Seuri, Niitaka, Shinko, Ichiban, Shinsui, and Megsui.

I researched each variety before ordering except for Megsui. I had remembered reading that name on here somewhere, but when I came back and searched it, it was only on a scion wood list. I googled it and couldn’t find anything. The best I can come up with is that it may be an abbreviation of Meigetsu (Clear Moon). I asked the person that I placed the order with if they had any information about it but he said that he got his scion from another member on here and hasn’t fruited it yet. He wondered if the spelling got mixed up somewhere and offered to change the order. I let him know that I was still interested in it and would see if anyone on here knew more about it. Does anyone have any information about Megsui?

1 Like

I looked up Megsui and couldn’t find any relevant info about it, but Meigetsu is a very common Asian pear. We have visited an orchard in Paris, KY and even they grow Meigetsu (along with Kosui, Korean Giant, Chojuro and Shinsui). Maybe it was just a typo on the scion list.

1 Like