Micro spray irrigation for nutrients

Looking for ideas from this experienced group on how you do micro spray irrigation on a small orchard. The land (0.6 acres) is sloped where the highest spot is near the Jujube and the lowest is by the Hazel Nuts.
I am looking at around 144 trees and have around half planted now. I have covered the whole area with 12 inches of wood chips.
The water well (in the shed) is rather large and the soil is naturally damp clay, so watering will only happen late fall during short droughts.
I would like to use micro sprayers or similar above ground spray type system that can irrigate the trees at 10 ft spacing and 15 foot between rows.
The goal is to use the irrigation system to put nutrients into the soil in early spring and late fall.
Thanks for your help.
Orchard layout.xlsx (53.7 KB)

12 inches of wood chips will pull a lot of nitrogen while decomposing and rats may love to hide in tunnels around the tree trunks.

1 Like

We have a neighborhood hawk that keeps the rodents away. It is pretty much open land, so if they come out they would be easy pickings.
Wood chips only impact the nitrogen on the interface with the soil. It does not affect the soil below.

1 Like

12 inches is too much wood mulch
Rats would love it
as well as voles
mice
etc.

2 Likes

I have done this before with no problems. No mice, no voles, no moles. Squirrels yes. Snakes will take care of the vermin. I have two big garter snakes that cruise my land and I have made a spot for them to nest.

2 Likes