Mid Pride Peach

8 Likes

Looking good Richard!

1 Like

Richard, never seen your backyard looking quite so damp!

1 Like

Your orchard looks great as it always does. What do you have growing on the fence? Is it a fruit plant or something just for privacy?

Hah, I can tell you - it is a MASSIVE passiflora vine. I love Passionfruit juice. There were fruits everywhere on the vine, even falling to the ground. Such a nice specimen.

Patty S.

4 Likes

Yes, as @hoosierquilt says … it’s Passiflora edulis “Frederick” trained on the fencing. It provides goose-egg size passion fruits year-round for juice – which I mainly use as a condiment.

3 Likes

Oh Boy! My absolute favorite. Will I be able to grow it in zone 9a France?

Yes!

Yay!!! thank you Richard. When in Hawaii I drink two glasses of Lilicoi juice and I found a paper container of passion fruit juice at the supermarket (in the foreign foods dept). Pure sugar tasted half like over-sweetened apple juice. Horrible. I cannot find it on the East Coast.

I assumed you were talking about Mid Pride Peach, the topic of this thread. Maybe not?

In my experience Passiflora edulis “Frederick” is hardy in zone 10a and portions of 9b where sub-30F temperatures are very brief, typically a few hours before sunrise.

Mrs. G, Perfect purée of Napa valley makes an amazing passionfruit purée (nice tropical tart without over sweetness). When I looked into ordering the shipping was pricey because they ship on dry ice to keep frozen but they have a ton of different fruit purées if you could recruit friends or family for a group order or use their website to find out if there a distributor in your area. I infuse a habanero vodka and make passionfruit cocktails with it but I’m sure you could whip up some out of this world baked goods!

Gorgeous blossoms on your peach Richard!

Richard the town I will be in, the lowest temps go to 35 degrees F. So maybe I have a chance!

Thank you so much!

Yes, you could grow the cultivar “Frederick”. Other cultivars of P. edulis are not as productive or cold hardy. It will thrive there.

1 Like

I’m growing the Red Rover cultivar of Passionfruit. It survived a few hours of 26F fine. The tender tips had some dieback but the main vine looks healthy. It has about 6 fruits ripening on it right now from last year. No idea if it’ll taste any good.

Janet was outside shooting pictures today and captured these of the Mid Pride Peach blossoms …

12 Likes

4 Likes

… and the 2.5 gallons of fruit sets Janet thinned from the tree today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any guesses on when you’ll be harvesting Mid Pride this year? I’m getting my first MP peaches this year and I’m not sure what to watch for to know these are ready (was a graft from last year). I’m usually pretty close to you as far as ripening up here in the OC. Thanks. Bob

1 Like

My guess is a week or two. :slight_smile:

2 Likes