Mildest Hot Peppers

I like hot peppers, but I really don’t like them too hot. I probably prefer only 1500 shu. My favorite milder hot pepper is Krimzon Lee, especially while still green. Anybody else have a favorite variety of mildly hot peppers? Here’s what I jarred up this year, I let some of the Hungarians get orange and red. A little too hot for me that way, but balanced by the milder ones.

2 Likes

In that range, shishito is a good choice. Be aware that it is a thin-walled pepper, however. It is good and productive.

1 Like

My favorite not hot pepper is probably the habanada. Plenty of flavor but no heat!

2 Likes

I really like the Aleppo pepper. A good nip but not too hot for me. Very good flavor too.

1 Like

I was looking for a similar pepper last year. Up until then I was growing Espelette, which is a decent mild variety. Last year somebody sent me 1 applecrisp seed. LOL

It actually germinated and peppers are starting to ripen. I have no idea what a properly ripe applecrisp should look like. This thing has been sitting on the plant for few weeks with a yellow-orange color. I was told it was the best tasting and mildest hot pepper.

I took it off the plant took a picture of it earlier today. Your post reminded me to taste it tonight. It’s slightly hotter than expected and advertised. The heat was concentrated at the bottom of the pepper. The top had the flavor of an extremely good bell pepper with heat of about 500 shu if that makes any sense. The bottom of the pepper was about 4000 shu to my palate, but very flavorful. I need to have a few more of these, but signs point to me growing it again next year. Excellent mild hot pepper.

PS: I forgot to take a picture of the interior until I had taken a slice out of the side in excitement to taste it.

4 Likes

Some pickled Aleppo peppers with more regular garlic dills. The Aleppos are spicey but not so hot that is good to eat whole right from the jar.

3 Likes

Those look great :+1:

1 Like

Have you had the Zavory pepper?
Its an Ají style pepper presumably of Caribbean origina marketed as a no heat Habanero, but some are mildly hot. Best in rice dishes, where it imparts an exquisite unique aroma.
I use them along with jalapeños in pico de gallo salsa.

1 Like

I really dislike the C. chinense smell and taste, but I adore baccatums. Zavory and Aji Dulce from Southern Exposure are both chinense. A few years ago they offered Aji chinchi and Jasmyn Rissie, both pretty early for baccatums. The Jasmyn is quite mild, the Ahi less so. Oops, they didn’t have the Jasmyn this year. They are WONDERFUL, make big productive plants. Also it appears that these baccatums are immune to Southern Root Knot nematodes, and very resistant to herbicide damage. If you have had pepper plants with twisted leaves and poor production, it’s probably herbicides from somewhere.

3 Likes

Gonna have to research more about baccatums. They are prolly like the original ajis im used to for use.in rice dishes mmmm