Moles - Do I need to worry?

I’ve seen mole tunnels around my yard but never worried about them until now. They’re all the sudden around my house which is on blocks/crawlspace. What harm can they do? Could they tunnel under my home and under my block footing columns holding my house up? I don’t just kill things needlessly but I believe their numbers have doubled since I moved here 3 year ago. Their not at my fruit trees but are around some of my pecan trees.

I have lost a lime tree to a mole because its tunnels caused the irrigation water to drain away from the root system.

1 Like

KILL THEM. THEY ARE BAD FOR FOUNDATIONS -. I have seen houses sag from tunneling.

1 Like

Moles have not caused me any trouble. In fact, they aerate the soil.
I have never heard of moles cause trouble for foundations. Moles only tunnel about 6 inches deep.

3 Likes

I think poncirusguy is referring to slab-on-grade foundations. I have had rabbits and woodchucks start to tunnel under mine. Had to resolve that problem expediently and decisively.

2 Likes

I’ve seen plenty of rabbits and woodchucks do this but not moles.

2 Likes

Could be. The only mole here is the starnose, and I don’t see much activity from them. But then again, I don’t live in a swamp.

2 Likes

I’m going to look to see if the blocks are sitting on the ground for my foundation or if they poured a deep footing to place the block on. I still think the number have gotten out of control with tunnels on all 4 sides of my house just in the last 2 months.

1 Like

I have a big mole problem because I have so many earthworms in the soil and they dig the roots free of plants
They have a sensitive nose. You can use butyric acid drip it on a scarf and put into the tunnels, but leave an escape route.

1 Like