Monoecious, Gynoecious or Parthenocarpic cucumbers

Not sure but my location is probably a little warmer.

Checked out my cucumbers this morning and it looks like 2 fruits on the China Jade are going to make it thanks to a little hand pollinating. They get big fast.

1 Like

Without having tried the fruit yet, I recommend Manny and Qwerty. These plants are relatively tiny and since I stopped pulling flowers, they have quite a few cucumbers growing. Here’s crazy Manny:

1 Like

Picked one of the China Jade that was only about 8". It didn’t make it back to the house. I had forgotten just how good a cucumber can taste. I’m starting to get a few more female blooms and I plan to continue with the hand pollinating.

1 Like

I accidentally hit the flag button here. Hope it doesn’t cause an issue.

First cucumber! Manny. I’ve never harvested a cucumber in May. Tastes like a standard mini cucumber, good. Qwerty is close. Happy with the new cuc plants

3 Likes

Your cucumbers looks like they are ahead of my plants however I have picked 2 undersized ones and they are very good. My Diva is starting to put on a couple. They are small compared to the China Jade.

Only Manny and Qwerty that fruit at every node might be ahead. Sashimi’s and party time aren’t even close to fruiting. Mini me up and died, which is odd.

1 Like

First qwerty- LOVE this cucumber! It’s shorter and chunkier than the manny and much crisper. Also just loving cucumbers in May!! I don’t know if I should have kept pulling fruit until it was bigger…it and manny fruit at every node, so seems ridiculous to grow it taller. No idea

(I take the photo in front of where I picked it for my own reference trying to remember what I harvested when)

1 Like

I’m starting to pick 2-3 fruit daily and the vines are putting on mostly female flowers/fruit. Starting to accumulate a few in the fridge now. If this continues the neighbors will step outside and find a bag of cucumbers on their front porch.

2 Likes

That’s great! How are the plants looking regarding disease?

1 Like

As of now I’m not seeing any disease. A video I watched suggested the removal of the lower leaves.

1 Like

Qwerty is insane. There are 5 fruit coming out of this node! This is the most productive, healthy and vigorous cucumber I’ve grown. It’s super great to snack, slice or dice. I might never grow another after this year.

The manny got pulled. It stalled, turned yellow and despite not having any obvious disease like powdery milder or wilt, it was clearly dying.shame because they were really good.

Sashimi which I think fits 2/3 thread title, is healthy and making some pretty cukes.

2 Likes

My “April F1” cuc supposed to be gynoecious, but has put on some male flowers that got pinched off. Set fruit when there weren’t any males, so it at least got the parthenocarpic part right. I’m guessing the 90F+ temps caused it?

2 Likes

Nice looking cuc’s. My Diva started out with several male flowers and the fruit had seeds. All the flowers now are female and the fruit tastes better without the seeds.

1 Like

I still can’t say enough good things about qwerty. It is wildly productive. After it ripens an huge strand it might be a week before another kicks in, but I have such an abundance that the little break is good. And sashimi while a fraction as productive is still good. I’m so relieved to finally find great cucumber that work well here.

3 Likes

I get triple digit heat for about 10 - 20 days total pr year. I absolutely love Beit Alpha. It’s a small middle eastern cucumber that tolerates heat well and produces well. 4 - 6 inch cukes. They are predominantly parthenocarpic and gynoecious but will produce better with other varieties near to pollinate them. I grow them with just a few heat tolerant Chinese or Japanese cukes mixed in. I do get seeds but they’re not overwhelming and the cukes taste really good. No bitterness except at the very very tip of the growing point in very high heat.

I’ve used both Japanese and Chinese (jade?) long skinny curved cukes that were seedless or nearly so (very tiny seeds) and they just don’t taste that good to me.

3 Likes

Wow. I’m impressed. I looked it up and it says heat tolerant. They look a lot like Beit Alpha cukes but better production. Hows the taste? Beit Alpha is exceptional.

1 Like

The taste and texture is the best I have had! I have nothing negative to say about them. We have had maybe 7 days of 100+ thus far and they do wilt by midday but perk back up overnight. They take longer to wilt than Sashimi which quickly looks like it is dying with 100, but also perks back up overnight.

Beit alpha is in my list to try.

2 Likes

Beit Alpha is the best tasting cuke I’ve had. I’ll be trying Qwerty next year I guess. Be fun to compare.

1 Like

I tried gimlet cucumber this year. It’s the most prolific cucumber I’ve ever grown. Seeds were expensive but I got cucumbers 2-3 weeks before I did any other variety. They aren’t bitter and perfect size cucumber for doing salads each day. I’ve got 2 plants and am pulling 5-6 each day. Think this will be one I’ll grow each year alongside Armenian and Persians

4 Likes