Monoecious, Gynoecious or Parthenocarpic cucumbers

Diva has done pretty well for me this year but I think some of the varieties your showing looks better. I will be trying some of these next year. The price of these seeds are expensive but probably worth it. My Diva are on their last leg and only growing a few small fruit.

1 Like

The cat of the seeds is what kept me from trying them previously, but it’s really worth it. I’ll try gimlet next year.

I still have Party Time growing as well. It’s not a truly fair comparison since it is in a different part of my yard and now being shaded by pumpkin vines, but prior to the other vines coming in, I did not like it as much as qwerty for texture, taste and productivity.

1 Like

I’d highly recommend. I’m in 5b so I don’t get to plant cucumbers till mid may and I already had some cucumbers in mid June. I’m just now getting some of armenian, cucamelon, and mojito now. Gimlet taste and size is just unbeatable and each node on the vine usually has 2 flowers each one!

2 Likes

Well, bacterial wilt is taking hold now and both sashimi and qwerty are slowing down. I’ve cut out a lot, but both likely doomed at this point. It’s weird I only ever had it kill a cucumber plant starting last year and I attributed it to the extreme number of cucumber and squash beetles. This year, pests are WAY down. Oh well. Had a great run.

Update 3 wks later- I pulled all but 2 of my vines. Days on the last 2 are numbered. Wilt just kept coming back and when even the new growth was getting wilted quickly. Frustrating. I believe the hells flies (spotted lantern) are spreading it. No science to back that up, just observations. I have very few standard pests this year thanks to the wasps. I plan on getting some sounds of qwerty going next year, but if it’s in the soil at this point, I think I’m screwed. I try to get out all major roots when I pull a plant with wilt. There’s only so much rotating I can do with limited garden space.

1 Like