Montmorency Cherry Tree

I’m thinking of getting an owl. They have them that move their heads too. My electric fencing kept the coons and even the chipmunks out. The birds ate about half.

1 Like

Here’s the tree. More rot on it than I expected, after getting up into the branches, (husband in the branches actually :laughing:) maybe 30%.

It has mushrooms growing on some upper branches :grimacing:

6 Likes

Here are the first of this summer

coming right along!

9 Likes

A new study on the genome and history ot the Montmorency Cherry at this link:
Genome of tetraploid sour cherry (Prunus cerasus L.) ‘Montmorency’ identifies three distinct ancestral Prunus genomes | Horticulture Research | Oxford Academic if this is your sort of thing.

Open access :>)

4 Likes

Thank you!

This is the right answer! put a bird bath near it. they dont go for cherries, they want water. give them water and you will not need a bird netting . i have a 7 year old cherry tree. It becomes impossible to net the tree after 6th year, its so huge.
So, better is to share and survive. i let them eat cherries and give them plenty of water. they dont eat much. A few is okay, birds also eat the japanese beetles grubs from the lawn in spring time, so definately invite birds in your garden.
in return, they dont touch my asian pears, apricots,peaches, plums , blueberries,blackberries, currants etc etc.
And yes, this is the most beatiful tree in my backyard. amazing in spring and winter color is exactly of a Raging FIRE , so marvelous especially when the leaves drop!
I made sure to not plant anything that competes it in terms of looks and thus it stands out in the whole neighbourhood during spring and fall times!

1 Like