Morus Nigra advice wanted!

Took them out for sun about 7 hours per day.

4 Likes

My two Nigra trees are still dormant. The Alba rootstock and the Gerardi dwarf have both woken up already. Even the persimmons and fig trees are awake now.
Are Nigras supposed to be slow to wake up in Spring?

They are for me.

They’re last to wake up and first to go to sleep…teenager/senior combo…

1 Like

I just saw a large specimen of Black Beauty Nigra in Swartz Bay British Columbia. The tree is at Fruits Trees and More Nursery and about 4 years old.
Bob Duncan who runs the Nursery describes the fruits as intensely flavorful.
The tree was very bushy and about 7-8 feet tall and the same dimension across. Absolutely loaded with berries! The PNW appears perfect for growing it.

9 Likes

Back to report the progress of the nigra this season so far.

I think it definitely have outgrown my expectation. First, it haven’t got full sun this year due to the overhanging branches of a big mulberry in the back. Second, it had suffered minor damage from dozens of bud removal for T-budding. The healing of the wounds are still in progress.

nigra_healed_after_bud_gathering

It showed minimal fungal/bacterial damage in the very humid summer, but otherwise quite healthy.

2 Likes

exciting updates! Looks like you’ve gotten it acclimated and established. Keep us posted :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @JayKidd, what kind of graft are you using here? Is it a whip and tongue?

Does anyone know how to prevent fungal/bacterial damage? what i can do pruning or preventive treatments?