Moss grows on the north side of the tree - how to use our knowledge

This is true in our part of the world

It is not true of every tree or all the time

The sun sets in the west and rises in the east. These are all things to know to navigate the wilderness. More importantly realize your not alone out here and what it is that is out here with us.

Gardens or orchards are established by these few simple principles. The north side is colder and the south side warmer

North and east-facing slopes are most commonly associated with good ginseng sites

Southern slopes are good for grapes

Sometimes people grow a good orchard by luck more than skill.

" North to south, east to west – does it matter how you orient the rows in your garden? An east-west orientation has some advantages for frost protection , while a north-south orientation slightly increases the amount of sunlight reaching the plants."
https://www.melindamyers.com/audio-video/melindas-garden-moment-audio-tips/garden-landscape-design/orienting-the-rows-in-your-veggie-garden#:~:text=North%20to%20south%2C%20east%20to,of%20sunlight%20reaching%20the%20plants.

My mom always mentioned she wanted to pick her berries in the morning on the east side of the rows. The berries are larger and its cooler

3 Likes

Moss grows on everything that does not move here…lol

2 Likes

I have moss growing on the east side of my propane tank.

2 Likes

Moss grows where the sun don’t shine. If you’re on a north-facing hillside you might find moss everywhere.

4 Likes