Most flavorful jujube?

Thanks mamuang. Almost all thai/indian jujube variety I saw posted online didn’t list the variety. They just listed as thai/indian or giant green thornless. I’m attached to it because I remember eating them as a kid growing up in VietNam. From what I remember, it is crunchy, mildly sweet, the meat is almost translucent, and about half the size of a normal apple. I’ve tried the chinese jujube thinking it was the same fruit I ate as a kid (don’t know which variety) because thai/indian jujube in vietnamese is called tao tau (literally translated to chinese apple) and it’s not the same because the meat almost has like a powdery, fibrous texture.

1 Like

You don’t get snow days for 6" of snow though. As a kid we needed like 18-24" minimum

I heard it’s difficult to graft jujube. Is it true? How difficult?
I planted a Li last year and it fruited the same year. Not many, about 10, but they were very very tasty and big too. I did not expect them to be so tasty actually. Probably because I put it in the sunniest spot of the entire place.
Now you guys are talking about how much better HJ and SC are. I can’t resist the idea of grafting these 2 varieties to my existing Li some time this year or next year.
I think 4 varieties on one tree is a good balance. If I had to graft one more variety in additional to Li, HJ & SC, what would you recommend?

3 Likes

a li in its prime is very good. I actually like it better than a prime hj or sc(though can’t really say if sc ever reaches ‘prime’ here in vegas). So between hj and sc, will have to go with hj.
sherwood, sihong, chico, priest, la fleur, r4t3, are my other favorites among relatively available cultivars

5 Likes

James,
Chinese jujubes have good ones and “not so good” ones, too. Some are used for drying, not fresh eating. Don’t give up on them yet.

Once you eat good ones, you’ll know why people like them. Many Chinese jujubes are on a small size comparing to a standard Thai jujubes.

2 Likes

The grafting is not difficult but the wood is harder than apple wood. I use cleft and bark grafting techniques.

Re. Jujube taste, it appears to be location-dependent, too (like most other fruit). Same variety performs differently in different climates.

5 Likes

Does anyone have some Dae Sol Jo jujube scion wood for trade or sale?
Cliff England is out from late spring freeze damage.
I have for trade: sugarcane, shanxi li, sihong, chico, tigertooth, autumn beauty, black sea, winter delight, ga-866, taiwan giant(Indian).
I also have figs, poms, mulberries, stone fruits, loquats, guavas and others.

1 Like

Jujube is easy to graft. Sometimes you can do a hack job and they still heal together. Cleft, veneer, side grafts all work well depending on scion/rootstock diameters. I don’t recommend bark grafts because jujube bark is thin and doesn’t separate well. Just make clean smooth cuts and line up the cambium layers. Jujube wood is hard and stiff so apply extra pressure with a clothes pin or bag clamp to improve contact between scion and rootstock.

Jujube is one of the few plants that I can graft in the middle of the Phoenix summer outside. The only problem is if the rootstock or scion is weak it might only grow secondary branches the first season, then maybe a primary branch the next spring if it gets plenty of direct sun and stores up enough carbohydrates.

5 Likes

Thank you for the tip! Very helpful!
I am planning to do a few grafts on my Li next spring. It has grown very well this year.

1 Like

I expect to be able to send out a bit, based on how much I decide to cut back the tree. You can check back with me next winter. I don’t need any of those varieties- I have all of them except the Indian one, which won’t grow here.

2 Likes

This is my li’s second year in ground. First year they were awesome, just like any other li I’ve eaten. This year they were hugh and dry, nasty. Didn’t eat them and the trees was loaded. I’m guessing maybe to much fertilizer.

3 Likes

Maybe give them more water to see if they will juice up a bit.

8 Likes

I guess your right. I’ll add a second dripper

1 Like

It’s too little water. They don’t get crisp and the sugars don’t develop fully unless they have enough water.

5 Likes

Hello mamuang, I’m also in MA and was wondering would you be willing to sell some honey jar and sugar cane scions?

Michael,
Would you like to fill out your profile a bit more. What region in MA? Your fruit growing interest?

You may want to introduce yourself in the About This Forum category. The more we (not just me) know about you, the more we are willing to help.

You can PM me, too.

Mamuang

Sorry, I just signed up maybe 10 mins ago. I live just south of Boston, and I guess you could call be a beginner. I live in a 1/2 acre that is in a densely populated city. As for my collection they consist mostly of figs which are mostly newly rooted in a grow room in the basement. The rest are below
Apple-pink pearl, king David, golden delicious
Pawpaw-seed grown, susquehanna, shenandoah
Persimmon- izu, wase matsumoto, chocolate, Coffeecake
Plums/pluots-emerald beauty, green gage, flavor supreme, flavor punch, flavor king, flavor queen, dapple dandy, dapple supreme, spring satin.
Kiwi berries- ken’s red and anna
Che
Gooseberries
Figs-too many to list.
Yeah it looks like I’m out of space. It’s a good thing a lot of these are multigrafted trees. I would have dm you but being fairly new to the site this seemed like the quickest way. Appreciate the response!

1 Like

Blueberry said this… I’d reach for a mulberry, blueberry, strawberry, and honeyberry and Juneberry…instead of Jujube.

I have never eaten a JuJube myself, but have two planted, hope to get some fruit this year or next.

But one reason that I planted JuJube (even though I have all or most of that other stuff growing that you mentioned)…

Is that they ripen very late in the year, Sept/Oct… when none of that other stuff is available (talking fresh here).

I put down (in a Excel sheet) all the stuff I had growing, and listed the date span for bloom and fruit harvest… and sorted them by fruit harvest date span (did this a couple years ago)…

Then I started looking for stuff, that would fill out the gaps in my fruit harvest time frames.

I basically wanted to have something (actually multiple things) getting ripe from May thru October.

I just love to walk out on my place and have something, hopefully several things… fresh to eat every week of the (growing season).

I am getting there…

TNHunter

6 Likes

Below is a pic of that Excel Sheet…

My%20Food%20Forest

TNHunter

6 Likes

Very nice collection.
Persimmons and some fall apples might fill in your blanks in the season a bit.
And, another rabbiteye or two might help set bigger crops for your blueberries.

1 Like