Most Frost Dependable Hybrid Plums

Good morning Yall!
So I am considering adding Hybrid plums to my orchard, I have been focusing on Euro plums since they bloom later, but, Bob Purvis’ list seems to indicate some hybrids have good flower frost resistance to late spring freezes that burn the open blooms, what are yalls experiences with late frosts?
Any hybrid standouts for fruiting dependability?
Surviving late frosts?
Any dependable fruiting after frost standouts, ones like Toka, Wanita, SD, Lavina, Obilinaja, Superior, Black Ice, others etc etc?

1 Like

i just put in a black ice plum from fedco and grafted 3 scions of waneta on it. they were out of toka and waneta is recommended as a pollinator for toka soo… its just starting to leaf out and looks like it has some flowers coming too. hardy to z3 and supposed to bloom later than most hybrids from what i read. one of its parents is sand cherry and they bloom very late. my location should put it to the test.

2 Likes

I have just begun to add Asians to my trees so it’s too early to know how they will perform until next year maybe. I have several mature trees that you may already have. Stanley and Empress are both very reliable. I have another yellow plum but it was here when I came so I do not know it’s variety. But it’s loaded every year. I usually give 50-60 lb away each year. It’s very tart but good and sweet when fully ripe. So I could provide you scions of mine if you graft. Can provide pics of the fruit if that helps Paul.
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

My suggestion is buy all the cultivars Alaska Fruits have to offer.

Alaska Fruit Trees - Plums (google.com)

2 Likes