Most Productive Heirloom Tomato You've Grown

Has anybody tried grafting heirlooms to rootstock tomatoes? It is something I am considering as an experiment. I would like to grow grafted tomatoes beside heirlooms on their own roots to see if it provides a benefit.

Yes, nine years ago I grafted my tomatoes onto Supernatural and counted the yield from each plant. In summary, yes, grafting significantly improved the yield. The post is here Gardening : Performance evaluation of grafted tomatoes using rootstock “Supernatural”, in the conditions of home gardening

2 Likes

I wonder how dwarf indeterminate tomatoes would do on a super-yielding(+disease-resistant) rootstock.
Might be a fun experiment, I’m tempted to try.
Would be cool if it stayed dwarf but churned out more tomatoes or has a longer season+more disease resistance.

Anyone try that before? Curious if any results from an experiment like that are online anywhere.

1 Like

I’ve grafted tomatoes a few times over the years with good results. Little Lucky on a disease resistant rootstock was very productive.

1 Like

Tennessee Suited is a small dwarf tomato, maybe 2.5 feet max, and probably the most productive tomato I’ve ever met. The fruit isn’t spectacular, but it’s good enough for as productive as it is. They’re also gorgeous. Medium size red and green striped tomatoes.

New Big Dwarf is good, Dwarf Mr Snow is productive and excellent flavor. A new one for me last year, Kangaroo Paw Green, pumped out little 3 oz tomatoes all summer.

For regular tomatoes, another vote for Stump of the World, it’s just great. Early, productive, hardy. Old German, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Anna’s Multiflora, and Blush.

2 Likes