Mound layering from grafted plants

I’m wondering if anyone has conducted mound layering on grafted plants to get the scion variety to grow on its own roots. I’m thinking of trying this with hickory and/or chestnut and hope I’m not wasting my time. Does anyone have experience with this? The plan would be to plant a grafted tree with the graft union close to the soil surface, let it grow for a season or two, and then cut it back a few inches above the graft union to induce sprout formation from the scion at ground level to use in layering. What are the chances that the scion survives after severe pruning and sends out sprouts rather than it dying off and suckers from the rootstock taking over? Would it be better to keep the scion trimmed continuously to induce low branching at ground level while it is getting established, and then trim it less severely on the year of mound layering to induce the sprouts that will be layered? Thoughts and/or experience are appreciated.

1 Like

Not sure about hickory and chestnut. Layer success is based a lot on the kind of plant. I’ve dug up a lot of plants that layered themself. You could always let them grow and experiment with air layers. That way you don’t harm the original tree.

It won’t work on Hickory. Don’t know about chestnut, but think it is long odds against.

Look up Jennifer Randall’s work with pecan rooting for some specifics. She succeeded with a lot of coaxing and treatments.

This project outlines success with stooling seedling hickory: Modified-Stool-Bed-Layering-Technique.pdf I just wonder if the technique could be adapted to grafted plants.