Mulberries no work fruit

@resonanteye

That looks like a female to me i bet it fruits soon. Mulberries frequently switch sex. Worst case scenario you could graft the mother mulberry to thos tree.

1 Like

I like Silk hope the best,but only had a few IE,so comparing them is difficult.
My Wellington has decent flavor and has a kind of chewy,almost rubbery texture.
Geraldi was just okay,but could get some sweetness at times.

Reviving this thread, full of useful information for someone starting off with mulberries.

I have a few Oscars and a Kokuso that I’m planning to put in the ground next spring.

I am still searching for the ultimate Morus Nigra that can withstand the weather here in zone 6b MA. Not sure if this variety even exists. Black Beauty is the closest thing that has appeared on my radar. By the accounts of several reports, it might not even be a M. Nigra. Couldn’t find a better forum on the internet to continue my search….

1 Like

Drew51

Nov '19

That’s cool. I’m hoping to get fruit off my nigra Tsarigradska mulberry from Bulgaria. Next year. Grows in zone 6. I need to test hardiness as the zone 6 (6b) is comes from is warmer than my zone 6 (6a) I’m protecting it for now till I can get some scion from it to graft to in ground rootstock. I can harvest this winter and the rootsock was planted last spring. So I will be grafting it in the spring.

@Marco

I suggest you reach out to @Drew51

I have also heard Oikos claimed to have a nigra for zone 6 as well

Oikos unfortunately went out of business during COVID from the email I received.

Very nice berries this year. They started ripening May 21st. The birds are celebrating!

10 Likes

Mine have begun setting as well and I’m looking forward to the fruit… although I challenge the saying that it’s a no-work tree haha, I have to work very hard to keep them from reproducing all over my tiny little yard!

2 Likes

@frostcrystal

That is very true!

@clarkinks

That’s a lot of berries on your tree. Do you know what type of mulberry it is?

1 Like

@Dean

Thank you! It is one of my select seedlings with larger fruits and heavier yields. There are several more i’m developing. Another one is amazing as well! The @39thparallel orchard nearby grows illinois everbearing and other large fruited types. I’m considering trying more crosses soon using some other berries and will keep you posted. These seedlings are becoming a topic of conversation in my area, but in comparison to the fruit size of illinois everbearing, i’m nowhere close yet! My berries are only 3/4" - 1" . This is the competition Illinois Everbearing Mulberry — Raintree Nursery

2 Likes

Munched on a bunch of IE berries yesterday while I was grafting onto some pecan understocks nearby. Those IE berries are hard to beat for overall flavor!
My best M.rubra selection is just beginning to ripen a few berries. Have not had a chance to check, closely, the other cultivars growing here, but I’m seeing/hearing bird frenzy, so I suspect they’re beginning to ripen, as well.
Popcorn Disease is present on IE, but not so severe as in some seasons past.

There is an ongoing SARE-funded project looking for superior Morus rubra selections in the wild, for preservation and breeding purposes. Reports I’m seeing suggest that hybrids with M.rubra as the male parent appear to be more ‘fit’, with regard to fruit quality. Over the past year and a half, I’ve been keeping an eye out for roadside rubras, and have identified at least a couple more females to add to my collection, and a number of males that may be of interest to folks who are attempting to breed pure M.rubra or new hybrids.

2 Likes

It is an interesting year with not as many birds hitting my berries. Usually, they destroy my mulberries, but this year either production is high enough or they are off bothering someone else. I’ve sent Gerardi wood out to about a dozen people here over the years and mine continues to do well with “no work”. Mine only gets about half day sun, but still puts out an impressive amount of fruit.

6 Likes

@zendog

Do you get many mulberry seedlings?

Stearns mulberry

‘Stearns’ mulberry. I’ve had this cultivar for 15 yrs or more, but it was as a low, heavily-shaded branch in a large ‘Lawson Dawson’ tree, and never fared well. Rooted a cutting of it 4 years ago, and planted it in a full-sun location near the house. This is its first time fruiting for me as a free-standing tree. Nice fruit size, and great flavor!

5 Likes

I get quite a few bird-deposited seedlings at my house and see them other places as well. I am not sure they are from my Gerardi though and I’ve never felt any crunch of seeds in the Gerardi fruit so I’m not sure if those have viable seeds. Are mulberry seeds tiny and I wouldn’t notice?

1 Like

@zendog

That is correct the seeds are very tiny.

I live in Central Wisconsin, zone 4b and very sandy. in the next town, I found someone who had some red and some white mulberry trees. She said she didn’t know what cultivar they were, but very large trees, about 3 ft in diameter.
I nursed some seeds and I now have 26 bushes/ trees. The fruit tastes great but they are small and they tend to fall off easily. I’m sure this is the northern range for them, but I just wanted a food forest, figuring that if birds eat it, they will leave my apples/ plums/ cherries alone.
I was wondering if it would be worth it to attempt a graft to get a better crop. It does look like all of you live in warmer zones, though, but I just thought I’d ask.

1 Like

I have Gerardi and Silk Hope … adding Oscar this spring from Lucille at Whitmans Farm.

Bob’s description of the Oscar flavor conviced me to try it… and then i also found this lady on youtube… best I can tell she is in the southeast (Carolinas). She goes on and on about how good they taste. Sold me !!!

2 Likes

Of the six varieties I have Kokuso and IE are the easy winners. Here is a good resource on varieties.

1 Like