Mulberries no work fruit

They are loaded! Im not sure i can capture how productive this seedling is. Been crossing these by selection for about 10 years. Im not succeeding in making the fruit larger but productive i think i have down.

11 Likes

I ate my first mulberries this week off of some weeping dwarf I have in a pot (hadnā€™t gotten around to putting it in ground before everything woke up).

Theyā€™re really good. The flavor is pretty unique, and the plant seems to need very little care. If only that morus nigra that I have in another pot was so happy to grow in the local climate.

1 Like

I have a very small yard and I have 3 mulberry trees, one of them is Silk Hope. I grow them in container, off the ground.
Iā€™m new here so I donā€™t know how to insert pictures yet.
I also have 6 figs and 6 jujubes, they are all in container except for one fig.

10 Likes

@TurtleWax

Did you get your mulberries growing? Curious how they did for you in Australia?

I have a few white mulberries growing. They do ok here in Australia. They would do better with more water, or a little protection from the wind. I also have a white shahtoot mulberry, which tastes great but seems determined to die in my garden.

I have never seen black mulberries in this country, and doubt that they exist here. Every ā€˜black mulberryā€™ for sale I have seen is a mislabelled white mulberry.

1 Like

Looking back through older posts in this thread, clarkinks mentioned cow manure improving production. Itā€™s true!
The ortet of Lawson Dawson was growing in the corner of a barnlot, with a small pond just 40 ft or so downhill. I know the cows lounged (and pooped and peed) in its shade, for many years. Fruits were large and tasty.
Fruits from my grafts of it here were good, but not nearly as large. This year, Iā€™m keeping two 2-yr old heifers and their calves up in the barnlot and small pasture here. They spend a lot of time lounging beneath the two LD trees and a couple of IE seedling trees. Fruits on those trees are WAY tastier and larger than those from the older LD tree out in the yard.

5 Likes

@TurtleWax

Here is a link they do exist but they seem expensive there. In the USA anyone who asked i could give 50 seedlings if they wanted to dig them up. They are everywhere because i grow so many adult trees. Maybe you should just move to the USA and they grow like weeds here. The white ones are the rearest on my property. I have one or two white mulberry out of around 100 trees. They are not as hardy as the red mulberry. The black is not as hardy as the red either. Most of my seedlings have a white crossed in the genetics but you canā€™t easily tell that. Technically they are a cross of just about everything.
Buy Mulberry Fruit Trees (White, Red, Black)

The harvest has been substantial this year, but once again the quality is so variable. A tree that was delicious last year is nearly flavorless this year, others have reversed. I wish I had some clue what causes the difference. Luckily, I have a lot of mulberry trees, so I guess it balances out.

The kids are all enjoying them, which is what really mattersā€¦

4 Likes

IE mulberry in my yard starts to ripen. This year, the fruits are smaller and less plump which may due to lack of the rain this spring. But the flavor is still excellent as always.

11 Likes

@IL847

Good looking fruit ! Illinois everbearing look a little different here. They are behind yours.
These photos were taken today of a couple of nice trees at the @39thparallel orchard. 20210613_183145

3 Likes

I also have a ton of fruit on the trees. But what makes this year different is that ussually the birds devour almost every fruit as soon as it ripens. Whenever I look at the trees, there may be a total of 1-3 fruit semi-ripe at any given time. I went out today and there were dozens (maybe ~100ā€¦). Iā€™m not sure if the production is that much more than usual, or if the birds have just been slacking (not that I want them to pay attentionā€¦). I did see one bird approach while I was picking, so I donā€™t think they are entirely ignoring the mulberries.

There were so many that I even brought some in to share (and take a picā€¦)

Regrettably, the Kokuso is the biggest tree and has the least tasty berries this year (itā€™s hard to say about past years, as the sample size was always so small).

I split the Pakistan with my wife (a big enough mulberry to share) and she liked it best, though she thought that the ripest Oscars were close. I liked both, but give Oscar the edge due to the added kick of tartness with the sweet.

Hereā€™s a pick of the underside of a Kokuso branch

9 Likes

@BobVance

Those are impressive! The birds stopped being a problem years ago here. Perhaps you no longer have the new fruit. I tried to grow edamame this year every plant that comes up is eaten off by rabbits. They love them but in all falirness the first year I planted onions they ate off the greens then dug for the bulbs and ate those to. That was over 20 years ago. The next year and all years after I never had another problem. The deer would stand on their haunches propel themselves up to pick pears but they just did that 2-3 years now they wonā€™t eat a handful of my pears off each tree.

Weā€™ve been picking for a couple of weeks now, the birds are getting all they want, and the ground beneath all the trees is covered with dropped berries.
Small amount of Popcorn disease on Illinois Everbearing, compared to recent years. Production and flavor on IE, Silk Hope, Lawson Dawson, and a select IE seedling Iā€™ve grown out have been fantastic, as well as for a local M.rubra selection Iā€™ve grafted in. Kokuso is, as has been typical, a disappointmentā€¦ low production compared to all the others, lacking in flavor, itā€™s just sweet, and no one in my family rates it high enough to go out of their way to pick it.
Wellington stepped up its game this year, but itā€™s still bottom-of-the-barrel here, with regard to production, berry size, and flavor. With IE trees 20 ft away, thereā€™s no reason to bother with it.

3 Likes

Maybe. If so, Iā€™d be happy about it, but Iā€™m skeptical. Iā€™ve had the trees since 2013 and mulberries get big pretty quick. so theyā€™ve had a long time to get used to them. It would also seem kind of strange for birds to be so be all over new trees, then mostly ignore them later like an old fad (ā€œthat tree is so last year!ā€). My understanding is that birds fly around long distances and you get different ones all the time (thatā€™s why I havenā€™t tried to trap them like squirrels and raccoons).

I also have another mulberry at a rental property one town over and the other day when I was there, I got several handfuls from the relatively young tree (grafted as seedling in 2017, transplanted in 2018). This is the first time Iā€™ve gotten more than a single berry off that one as well.

I think things have just started here, though I donā€™t keep that close an eye on them, given that I never get any :slight_smile: I suppose that is self-fulfillingā€¦

Maybe I just caught things at the right time in the season and the birds will start tending them soon.

Ouch. Well, here is seems quite productive, though I have to agree on the flavor. Have you ever tried Oscar?

1 Like

do you have any issue with pakistan dropping before it ripens? i have a 5/6 year old tree that nice size but due to its dropping before ripening i dont have much to eat. how productive is your pakistan? do you grow IE? is oscar the same?

1 Like

how is lawson dawson is it different than the other two you mention? i have IE and silk hope already.

1 Like

Kokuso in my yard is productive. But the size is small and seedy compare to IE. Also kokuso is lack of both flavor and juiciness.

1 Like

The fruit dropped from my Pakistan, for a few years.I asked about it too,in another thread.
Then, they stayed on and ripened.Now the tree produces.There is probably a stage, necessary to go through.

2 Likes

where did you get your pakistan? mines is source from DW. i wonder if it makes any difference? i was guessing it was due to our climate or it is the same in other area? and is due to the variety of mulberry and not the environment factor.

1 Like

Mine came from Burnt Ridge Nursery, which is probably a DWN tree.
I think @jujubemulberry wrote, that one did that, where he lives,in the Las Vegas area.

2 Likes