Mulberry question: Coldest climate 'Pakistan', 'King White Shahtoot', or 'Taiwan Long Mulberry' is being grown?

I grow a Pakistan in zone 6a, mine is only three this year but it was from cuttings from my mother-in-laws Pakistan when it blew over, it was 6 years old, it survived the winter vortex. She got it from Stark.

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you for responding Rachel. That is amazing…Have you had any dieback? Have you had fruit from it yet? I wonder if Stark Brother’s ‘Pakistan’ is different from others. Please tell us how it survives this winter.

2 Likes

I have wondered if it is different because it has grown fine here with no die back whatsoever. Mine has not fruited yet-I expect this summer will be the first year but the tree I got my cuttings from fruited for several years before it was blown over.

3 Likes

It would be nice to get a hardier Macoura type . Alba / Rubra type crossed to Macoura should be hardier . Awaiting for one to be created . Someone where both grow could do this . I suspect there are chance seedlings out there already .

2 Likes

You are probably going to regret having posted to this topic, because I am going to “hound you to death” for pictures and information once it leafs out and fruits. I see at your location (Wallkill, New York) you get freezing temperatures in early October, which seem to progress gradually into hard freezes by late October/early November…Maybe this gradually “deepening” allows the ‘Pakistan’ to acclimate to such a cold climate. I have noticed that my mulberry trees here in Northern Florida do not go into a fully dormant state, noted by when I cut off a branch in the dead of winter, it will still have some sap flowing…A very hard freeze occurring in this state will severely damage the tree. I am guessing, if you cut a branch of your tree now (in winter), no sap would show at the cut end.
I may order one of Stark Brother’s ‘Pakistan’ to evaluate it close up, just to be sure we are both referring to the same plant. Was the fruit of the mother tree what you would expect for a ‘Pakistan’ (~3" fruit)? Thank you so much for posting…It has opened up a whole world of possibilities for the lowly mulberry.

4 Likes

No worries! It’s always great to share info! It does have very long berries typically, they weren’t 4 inches like some sites show but around 3 inches. Different tasting from the other mulberries. I will let you know when it leafs out again and if it fruits this year. I went back and looked at Starks site and others, Stark’s is down to zone 6 others say 7 on up to 9. So the question is: are they all different or the same cultivar? I will look for pics from last summer of mine. I expect I might get fruit this year.

Yes our weather is usually very cold at least nights. We are having a very mild winter but still got down to 10 the other night. It would definitely not have sap if I cut it now.

3 Likes

Thank you…It would be nice to know if your cold winters keep it dormant for longer in the spring (In the south ‘Pakistan’ leafs out and fruits too early in the year and is usually hit by our late freezes).
This picture was taken Feb. 20th (but winter isn’t over yet):

7 Likes

It could happen here this year too but time will tell, it is at my house not in my orchard. I do have a hard time with Hardy kiwis flowering too soon in my orchard but at my house, in the woods, it usually isn’t an issue.

3 Likes

Mine looks to be dead root stock is sending up shoots disappointed.

1 Like

Does anyone have Shahtoot Purple/Red (Morus Macroura) scions for grafting? There are so many claims that folks are growing them but cannot verify if it is indeed the correct variety. Some site sell scions with verified DNA testing but so expensive. Thanks for reading the post.

I only have ‘Pakistan’ and ‘King White Shahtoot’ (both are Morus macroura) …But you are welcome to scions if you want them.

1 Like

Livinginawe…That will be awesome!

Where did you get your plants from?

How can I get a hold of you to communicate personal info?

Thanks!

I have pakistan and king white shahtoot or Saharanpur and also a hibrid named clone 10 which is supposed to be more cold tolerant.
Still trying to get the Himalayan and other long ones like Taiwan long Mulberry

1 Like

How can I get a hold of you to communicate personal info?

I messaged you.