Mulberry: the king of tree fruits (for pigs)

there should be lots of genetic churning and diversity, considering that black mulberries have hundreds of chromosomes. which is way more than ANY other fruiting plant

exception would be persian/black mulberries, which have really tiny stalks, that i end up popping the entire things into my mouth, including the tiny stalks–if there’s any…
when fully ripe, it is impossible to pick them at the stalk, and must pluck the actual berries off the stem, which could really be messy as the ripe berries are quite succulent and could easily burst when handled.
below is a pic of our black beauty mulberry, with fruits typically borne close to the branches with no stalk to get hold of.

That’s right,I remember that about the Black Beauty. Brady

I need to ask one of my questions that prove how little I know about fruit growing…

Like many here have said, I grew up around wild mulberry trees and never thought they were very good. But I read so many positive comments about developed varieties that I decided to try one. So 2 years ago I ordered a Black Beauty and its now on its 3rd leaf. It has grown like crazy and is the fastest growing tree I ever had. Its about 7 feet tall and extremely bushy. I’ve seen stories of mulberries fruiting on the 2ed and 3rd year, but in spite on the great size and health of mine, it has not.

So here is my question (and I suspect other newbies may wonder about this). I have read a lot about “male” and “female” mulberry trees and/or mulberry blooms. Even on this thread @Derby42 mentioned that his mulberry only has male blooms so I wants to top work it. HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE A MALE or FEMALE tree and/or if it will produce male or female flowers. What are the chances that the tree I bought and planted will never bear fruit because it is the wrong sex? (From Jason’s question I am assume females are the ones that produce fruit?) Of do I have this all wrong and all grafted trees will produce fruit? BTW, I got mine from Willis Orchard if it matters. They make no mention of needing 2 trees or anything else about the possibility that the tree may or may not fruit. So what is the story on male/female mulberry? Thanks.

My tree is a seedling tree so I would assume that with seedlings you would have a fifty percent chance that it is male.

That is a super fast growing Black Beauty.Mine was about that age when it died and was probably a little over 3 feet. Brady

The males produce “flowers” which looks a lot like the fruit, but with stamen all over. If you’re not seeing anything fruit-like, it’s just not mature yet.

Also, from my observations, I think the M/F ratio is much lower than 50/50. They have also been known to switch sex for no clear reason.

" They have also been known to switch sex for no clear reason."

No clear reason to you, but you’ve no idea the pain of being a female mulberry trapped in a male body.

6 Likes

Thanks Alan.That was my first laugh of the day. Brady

Alan, You are so funny!

@thecityman, some folks here are growing from seedlings in which case sex and years to fruiting is an issue - others are growing hybrid nursery stock grafted on rootstock which are self fertile and fruit in 1st year.

Concerning your “Black Beauty”: that trade name is used by some growers (e.g. L.E. Cooke) for a Morus nigra seedless hybrid, but by other sellers for a Morus rubra. Examining the pictures and growth rate of the Willis Orchard tree I believe it is Morus rubra.

2 good laughs from you today

@thecityman. The female flower looks like the fruit only smaller and green. My Illinois Everbearing had a few fruit the second year and dozens year three. Growth can be 6 ft or more in one season. You should get fruit next year.

A mulberry flower

1 Like

i have had the same experience with the nigra’s, as black beauty and noir of spain grow painstakingly slow where am at. From what have noticed, noir grows a little faster than gerardi dwarfs(which are actually alba’s), and in turn, the gerardi seems to grow faster than black beauty nigra’s.
i hate to break it to @thecityman but you probably have either a typical alba, or a rubra, and may even be a male.
i have seen willis orchard’s specimens and seriously doubt if they are black mulberries. By their location alone(georgia)-- it is certainly NOT the best for propagating black mulberries en masse.
one tell-tale sign that your mulberry is a nigra would be scruffy hairs on and under the leaves, which almost feels like fine sandpaper. Young leaves and buds of nigra’s also appear quite velvety. Lastly, the winter buds of nigra’s are generally brown to black, and not tan or any shade lighter.
here’s my little documentary about the unpredictable nature of buying mulberry plants online
http://forum.vpaaz.org/photo/tale-of-two-dwarf-mulberries

before everyone here starts laughing, it is really hard to say if Alan was cracking a joke, or insinuating a point on his behalf or other people he holds dear.

Ah yes. A common source of confusion is name of plant vs. color of fruit. Amateurs should not consider color of fruit to be an indication of species.

Just a joke. Not altogether original- my favorite pick-up line (not to use,mind you) when I was a young man living in NYC was where a man, as a form of introduction at a bar, claims to be a lesbian trapped in a man’s body.

But I do hold transgender people and pretty much all outsiders dear. I root for the underdog. Especially the bullied and otherwise persecuted underdog.

It is hard to construe the meaning of the quoted comment above, actually. Is it serious or a joke?

2 Likes

serious of course, as the topic could be a sensitive one for the minority.

1 Like

there aren’t many folks who intend to be pro’s re: mulberries(sadly, but understandably), as the vast majority of mulberries growing in the backhills of america bear mediocre-tasting fruits. The tendency is to make a generalization about it.

btw, does anyone know if willis orchards is related to TyTy nursery? They seem to have the same advertising strategies.

1 Like

So only pros are allowed to do that? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: