Multi Planting - replacing 1 in the combination

I am a big fan of 4in1 multi planting. Its worked out great in my tiny California yard (zone 9b). I am going to be doing a lot of multi plantings soon… but have 1 concern!

Sometimes 1 out of the 4 may die or may need to be replaced… Do you just dig it out and stick in a replacement next bare root season? The roots may all be intermingled by then, you may damage roots of the other trees in the combination…

Another option I thought about was to use root barriers like in the pic below → the + is the root barrier and the circles are the trees… hope my diagram makes sense… :slight_smile:
4in1

I feel this makes it easier to replace any one tree in the combination…
Thoughts? Will this work? I worry the roots may grow lop sided and not anchor well… but on the other side it may encourage deeper roots that is a good thing… Also may be stake the trees? could be an overkill…

Do these root barriers have any chemicals in them, can I use them for organic gardening? Any other similar organic products I could use for this purpose?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Century-Products-1-5-ft-x-2-ft-Polyethelene-Root-Barrier-Panels-CP18-2/305093455

Thank you!

I would think that the others would shade out the new tree. Multiple plants in one hole is something you can only really do from nothing, unless you can somehow get very developed new plants.

3 Likes

@TheGrog - Thanks, that is a good point… I wonder if the root guards will help in the first few years at least…