Muscadine Tarte

This is my first attempt at making this recipe with muscadines. The seeds were removed from the black muscadines and in the center (not in the picture) is several of the bronze seedless variety. It’s simple to make and so delicious. I’m not good at describing taste but to me I’m reminded of cherry and blackberry pies. The color is a little dark so next time I will try using all the bronze types. I mostly used @mrsg47 recipe and it taste great but it just doesn’t look so good.

10 Likes

Is that custard on top?

1 Like

Did the skin get soft with baking? I heard the muscadines have very leathery skins

1 Like

I’m not sure what the correct name is but below is how the filling is made. This is extracted from one of Mrsg post. The only exception was that I used ¾th cup of sugar. Thanks @mrsg47.

For the filling you will need

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup sugar (the original recipe says 3/4 but I don’t like too much sugar, would rather taste the fruit.

1 teaspoon pure vanilla

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 egg yolks

2 Tablespoons all purpose flour

1 Like

The black muscadine was incorrectly labeled and has a tough skin so I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. Oh My the seedless muscadine has a tender skin and it was added without cutting. Both ended up tender and pleasant to eat.

2 Likes

Whoa!!! Bill it looks fabulous! I wish I was there to have a bite. Well done! I made a pie with Concords, very tangy but good. You pie looks just great!!!

1 Like

Perfect!!! It makes a simple but delicious custard filling.

1 Like

Awesome! I might try this as my family doesn’t eat the fresh muscadines and I can only eat so many myself.

2 Likes

Scott which muscadine varieties do you grow these days?

I have Supreme, Black Beauty, Sugargate, Tara, Ison, and Darlene. These are all from about ten years ago, I have not added anything recently. I got a new one from Ison a few years ago but it was a weak plant that died and I never replaced it.

2 Likes

@Auburn Why not in recipe section ?

Some might by pass Muscadines are in Season and not have access to lounge , but look in recipe section for recipes as other things are ripening now

2 Likes

Good idea.

1 Like

I just moved it. I think anyone level 3 or higher can change categories.

1 Like

Thanks

@Auburn
Can you roll the Pulp to bust out the seeds ? (or use food mill)
See below
(I did but not sure on fresh pulp)

Not the same thing , but a question
I vinified wine
With left over pulp and SKINS after the wine was done added some pulp to a 12 OZ jar I made Vinegar.

Skins to tough but was good in Miso soup (5 flavors Umami )

After I finished another batch I rubbed the pulp to remove the skins
this was for what I planned on using the pulp (now seed free for Vinegar)
So the texture was not full of skins but juicy vinegar pulp

Is there a way when fresh to remove the seeds easy
Would a food mill work ?

1 Like

I don’t know but you could try. My next cooking will be with all seedless.

Muscadine are not easy to get here
(saw some in Atlanta GA. in 2 feet wide Alley behind store/neighbor )

I wish I remember what I did with that pulp (for Vinegar)
I shortly or quickly got on a air plane (pretty hectic)

Maybe a Jar is going
I like the texture of that in Miso soup (but not the thick skins)

Do the Wild ones produce this Early (what about Fry or Carlos)

1 Like

I would think that the wild ones would have different ripening times. Some would be early and some later. I don’t grow Fry or Carlos. My earliest to ripen are Hall, Lane, and Oh My.

1 Like

A couple of days ago I baked my first “fresh muscadine cake” using Cowart muscadines. I know not a pie but a cake. Never have baked a pie. One of these years maybe I will have the courage to try to bake a pie. I had enough of a hard time perfecting my cake. I was pleased at how tender the skins ended up being.

Basically, all I did was substitute muscadines for apples in a fresh apple cake no sugar recipe that I have used for several years.

(Original recipe)
1 Cup Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Cardamon
1/4 Cup Canola Oil (I use whatever oil I have)
1/4 Cup Molasses (I use leftover syrup from canning apples also have used honey, grape juice, Coca-Cola, root beer)
1 Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 Cup Splenda (I use Aptiva brand from Kroger)
1 Cup Apple Butter (I use applesauce instead)
1/2 Cup Chopped Black Walnuts (I added this to original recipe)
About 1 Cup Chopped Apples (substitute muscadines here)

• Mix up the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon.
  • In large bowl beat oil, syrup, egg and vanilla with electric mixer for 1 minute
  • Add and beat up Aptiva until smooth with spoon
  • Add flour mixture, applesauce, walnuts, muscadines and mix until blended
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

I use a Bundt pan that has been sprayed with Pam baking flour.

2 Likes