Muscadines 2020

Found my female picture

3 Likes

Impressive. I’m down 95 from you in Baltimore and also growing BB and two Lane both planted this May. Black beauty has taken off and raced down the wire occupying almost 10 feet already. One of the Lane is almost to the wire and putting out new growth while the other is very stubborn with new growth and is refusing to reach for anything.

I have a Paulk on backorder with Isons and will likely replace the stingier of the two Lanes with it when it arrives.

1 Like

Hot item at our house right now is the hull included cobbler. Used everything but the seed. Two of my grands spent the day and it was gone before I could get a picture. Best one yet. Taste like nothing I have ever eaten. Somewhere between a blackberry and a pie cherry. Hulls are at a good tender stage.

5 Likes

I’m coming to your place!! :rofl:

1 Like

Please don’t mistake my recipe and me for someone that actually knows how to cook a cobbler. This is my first. Lately I have been tweaking the amounts and it turned out well. My grands rated it a 10 out o 10. Hope I haven’t taught them to tell fibs to pump my (Pop’s) ego.

Owings Easy Muscadine Cobbler with hulls

4 C fresh muscadine halves with seeds removed (I used Lane)

1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or amount you like)

½ teaspoon cinnamon (or amount you like)

1 C flour

1 C sugar

1 egg, beaten

1 stick melted butter

-Remove seeds/cut into halves and microwave the fruit down. Slow boil until tender (15-25min). Place in 8x8 baking dish or 8 inch cast iron skillet (estimated size).

-Add lemon juice and cinnamon to the berries (light stir).

-Combine flour, sugar and beaten egg.

-Stir until mixture is like a coarse meal.

-Spread over the top of the berries.

-Drizzle melted butter over the top.

-Bake at 375 F for roughly 30-35 minutes.

-Cool.

3 Likes

My late blooms of Hall are starting to ripen. This probably won’t happen again so I will just enjoy the late ones while I can.

5 Likes

I’ve got a few Scuppernongs that are ripe. Somehow I find the bronze colored muscadines less appetizing than the dark ones. Maybe because growing up wild muscadines were always black. They taste different too.

1 Like

Birds are just decimating my crop. I’ve maybe eaten 6 muscadines so far.
It’s still early but unless I do something better with the nets (been busy and it’s been so wet) it will be a lost year.
Oddly I’m kind of past caring about it LOL

2 Likes

I’ve got Supreme and Cowart ripening at the same time. Both vines are about equally productive, similar size, similar color, similar but distinct flavors. I’m getting them by the handfuls not the bowlfuls or gallons, but I’ve only fertilized lightly because the vines themselves are so vigorous. Late Fry is my other vine and they are turning color from green to gold, but they aren’t yet ripe.

2 Likes

Sorry your having a hard time. Last year after a couple of night raids on my muscadines I decided to not worry about them. Afterward I started working on another plan for the next season. This has been a better year. I would encourage you to think of different strategies for next year.

Thanks! Yep I will come up with a better design for next year, if not before.

I don’t know what you’ve tried as far as nets go, but I found that material used to make veils works fine. It’s 54 inches wide and comes in bolts up to 40 yards long. I bought some at my local Walmart for 99 cents a yard. It’s not the strongest stuff, but should last a few seasons.

I initially bought it to keep Japanese Beetles off, but kept it in place for bird protection. Unroll it, drape it over the vines and secure it every few feet on the bottom with twist-ties. You don’t need to remove it to harvest, just reach up from the bottom opening and grab what you want.

Edit to add: I’m not positive on the width of the material. I saw 54 inches on the Walmart website, but the stuff I bought looks closer to 6 feet wide.

1 Like

I have some muscadines that have a strange white substance on some of the branches. At first I assumed it was bird poop. I don’t think so, now.
Can anyone identify what it is? Whatever . . . it can’t be good.

1 Like

Spittlebugs?

3 Likes

What Berry Guy said. No problem.

1 Like

I’m still waiting patiently- this could be my biggest muscadine harvest yet, based on what I see hanging. Today, I noticed the first Black Beauty started turning color.

4 Likes

@BobVance great to see that you are growing muscadine. I may be able to grow them too.

1 Like

Black Beauty and Lane would be the first two I’d recommend starting with. I had BB survive a very cold winter without damage. I don’t remember if it was -4F or -10F, but it was below 0. I think @SMC_zone6 had Lane survive an even colder winter. Supreme and Fry Seedless die back to the ground in the sub-zero winters, but have come back each time. The fruit on BB and Lane is just as good, if not better than Supreme. And FS doesn’t actually make fruit (for me…).

2 Likes

@BobVance If I decided to venture into muscadine, BB and Lane will be the ones. I am

1 Like

This is my first full crop of Muscadines. The vines are in their 5th summer. I have a Southern Home, Dixie Red and I planted a Darlene and a Fry and one of them died - I think the Darlene.

The vines are loaded but not ripe yet. Making their way towards ripe. I live between Chattanooga and Knoxville so am farther north than many of you.

!

7 Likes