Muscadines 2020

More Lane picked this morning. Washed with dawn and three rinsing. Ready for eating or whatever you want them for.

11 Likes

Wow, what a beautiful thing!
How many Lane vines, just one? I’ll have nowhere near that amount on my Ison.
At most I just run mine under a little water. Is the Dawn to keep them from spoiling or just extra cleanliness?

1 Like

Curious about the dawn as well. I eat so many berries off the bush have ingested dirt, leaves, cobwebs, bugs, who knows what else!

5 Likes

The fruit pictured is all from my third leaf Lane. It has been a heavy producer for me. I’m estimating that there is about four gallons remaining on the vine which would bring it up to 50-55 pounds for the year.

@TrilobaTracker @GeorgiaGent
I also pick and eat fruit from the vine/tree by choice and I’ve never had any issue with doing this. I like using dawn because I think it is an effective cleaner and if it is safe to wash the dishes with surely it is safe to clean fruit with especially with three rinses. Some of these muscadines will be frozen for later snacking by my grands which I go the extra mile to provide clean food for them. Most of the other fruit will be given to family members or friends and I take pride in letting them know about how they were cleaned and that they are ready to use now if the want to.

2 Likes

Good deal!

1 Like

I woke up entirely to early this morning. Trying out a new cobbler recipe for my grands. Combination of apple and whole muscadines minus the seeds. While I had the oven hot I put in a cast iron skillet of cornbread. Looking forward to hearing the grands review of the cobbler. Only one medium apple used. Heavy on muscadines.

6 Likes

My mother in law always talked about muscadine pie. Seems weird at first glance but I bet it’s great.
Your creations look tasty!

My Attempts at bird deterrence haven’t worked that great. The netting is hard to mess with. They’re finding gaps and getting the grapes from underneath.
There isn’t much on the vines to start with. I need to shore up the netting to save what I have.

Keep in mind that if dieback occurs, you might need to wait longer a 2nd or 3rd time. I’m happy if I can string together a few years in a row without dieback.

My Black Beauty is both my favorite and my best producer. But, it gets a bit more sun that the Supreme and the Lane is younger (and not pruned well, as you’ll see below).

Black Beauty:

Supreme has a bit more than usual on it this year:

If you just look at the Lane, there is nothing:

But flip up the vine and there is plenty hiding:

It is still young (4th year vs 7th for the others) and I did a bad job (ie not at all) of selecting which leader should grow up the post. I think I did that a few years ago and the one I selected did nothing, with more growing from the base. . I’ll get back to it one of these years :slight_smile:

I’ve had the same problem with Fry Seedless, a different seedless one. In 7 years, I don’t think I’ve had a single grape from it. It keeps flowering, but none set. In fact, it is still flowering now.

I need to consider taking it out and putting a jujube in its place (my solution to most failing plants…). I could also just let the supreme take over it’s part of the trellis.

I got a nice one like that and it helps a lot. But early on, I got too confident in it and found out the hard way that you can still burn it. It’s pretty painful to lose a batch of black currant jam, as in addition to the time spent in the failed endeavor, it also took 3-4 hours to pick to currants. It also took me quite a while to clean the pan. I was frustrated enough that I ended up getting out the belt sander…

I’ve seen normal grapes completely decimated, but haven’t seen the muscadines bothered at all (knocks on wood). I think the thicker skin helps keep the smells down. Also, maybe it being non-native in the area is another factor. Same seems true of jujubes vs apples (apples get devoured, jujube ignored, even though they are higher brix).

1 Like

You also advised me the same. When I was at the You-Pick Muscidine farm there were two long rows of Summit and remembered what you told me. I immediately set a course directly to them, what an excellent tasting Muscidine. In my opinion, all the grapes in that farm were excellent but Summit was second to none in flavor and with nice size too. Best advise I’ve gotten this year, thanks. I placed one on order from Ison.

1 Like

I hope to send pictures of each step.Thank you!

1 Like

Another quick muscadine question. I have 4 vines going now and 2 of them are probably about 4-5 feet down the wire on each side (8-10 foot spread). I don’t know if they’ll get to the full10 feet on each side I’m aiming for this year, so they may need more time filling the wire next year. As my mouth waters thinking of eating some grapes, I’m wondering if I can let the first part of the vine fruit next year (if it does) while the ends continue to grow out, or is there a risk of them “runting out” so you really need to wait until they reach the desired length and snip off any flowers/fruit before they do?

1 Like

I had one vine last year that lacked about 3’ on each side. I let it fruit without causing any noticeable problems. It probably would grow faster with the fruit removed but I’m okay with fruiting it.

1 Like

Black Beauty has started ripening. Picked about 1.5 gallons today.

3 Likes

Has anyone else had a completely non-productive Fry Seedless? In thinking more about it, maybe it is the fry-seedless that is pollinating the others, but isn’t doing a good enough job to pollinate itself? If so, it would be bad to remove. Black Beauty and Supreme (the 2 vines I have planted closest to it) are both female. The Lane is planted a bit further, but probably under 30’ and should be able to pollinate the others, assuming that it is correctly named.

Is there any way to examine a muscadine flower and tell if it is female or self-fertile? I can look at hardy kiwi flowers and tell, but have no experience with muscadines.

1 Like

Yes, you can look at the flower and tell. Self-fertile has upright stamens while female has stamens that are folded and bent.

Fry Seedless has a long history of being non-productive.

As Auburn said, muscadines can fruit and extend their reach the same year. It is somewhat desirable to let them do so as the fruit load prevents the canes from over-growing their wire.

1 Like

Bob I have often wondered why Fry Seedless was not more popular to grow. Low fruit production might be the reason but I don’t really know because I haven’t grown it. My Lane has been a heavy producer and I think it is a pretty good pollinator for Black Beauty and probably Supreme. I recently added Hall on the other side of my Black Beauty and BB set a better crop. I believe each years weather conditions help or hurt pollination and the more self fertile vines you have the better.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that I have Oh My seedless planted and it has run the entire wire so it appears set up to fruit next year. Hope it is a good seedless muscadine.

I doubt that you have any of the flower pictures right now unless you find a few late bloomers. Post pictures and if our group can’t tell I have some other resources that are very good at identifying it’s fertility.

This is a self fertile with female and male parts.

Anthers extend up past the pistils

Stock photo of female. I probably have one somewhere but finding it is a whole different problem.

Anthers reflex back away from the pistil

1 Like