Muscadines 2020

I think the other more durable nets might be easier to cover the vines. I have used the cheaper 14’x14’ nets a few years now and I had become aggravated trying to load and unloading them on a tree. Last year (2019) after a night invader cleared out about half my Lane muscadines I put one over it and had no more damage. My method to get the nets on and off easier is to roll the net down your vine/support and do the reverse when removing. I also wait until they start to ripen to put the net on to reduce the amount of vines growing through. It takes two-three picking so I lift the one side of the net at a time for picking. The electric wire might have been all I needed to keep the raccoons away but I wanted to do all I could on the two vines with the most fruit.

Thanks! Good points. I have already lost a few to birds so was going to net it soon, but great point about vines growing thru …

1 Like

Up early with my buddy for my first real picking of Hall. She approved and said they taste like grapes (table type). Picked about three pints.

6 Likes

So wonderful. What a blessing. :pray:

2 Likes

Oh My is difficult to determine when to pick. I think I have been picking too early, the grapes look ripe but are hard to remove and taste like a sweet lemon. I now wait until they come off with a slight pull and they taste better. Taste is subjective but I put it behind my other muscadines, Late Fry, Darlene and Black Beauty. It has less of a true muscadine flavor similar to Black Beauty. It is also more of a firm grape like Black Beauty. I was worried it might have a semi fibrous seed like a watermelon but it is truly seedless. They do have a tough skin but that may be due to sun exposure. My other muscadines develop a tougher skin if they don’t have leaf cover.

Average size Late Fry, large Oh My, average Oh My

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. I wasn’t sure if it would be very good but it seems to be okay from your early report.

1 Like

Is anyone picking Lane muscadines. Some of the ones I have are getting soft but as of now I have resisted picking them. Do you pick yours when they soften?

1 Like

I like them to be softish. The main thing I do is try to get the ones that will just fall off easily when jiggled. They will have consistent black/dark purple color all the way up to the stem and usually are not glossy but dull looking color. I’ve got to pick tonight and I think I’ll have quite a few. I hold my bucket under and run my fingers through the cluster and take what falls in the bucket. Lane stays pretty firm. Some of the others get softer.

1 Like

I think your Lane is ripening a little ahead on mine. Will this be your first picking of them?

That is a great tip for picking muscadines and appears like it would be effective for getting the most ripe fruit to drop. Thanks

1 Like

I think from pictures I was a bit ahead of you. I got a quart bag full with not a lot of intense work. I had a few overripe ones. I probably could have picked more…it was too hot!

1 Like

Granny Val

3 Likes

Granny Val is supposed to be a very good muscadine but I don’t grow it. It continues to bloom like most of the self fertile varieties I’ve seen. Let us know how you like it.

1 Like

I only have a few wild muscadines on the vine and they have started to ripen. I went ahead and tasted one a little early and it reminded me of the ones I picked wild while growing up. If your looking for a table type muscadine this one is not for you. If your looking for jelly, Jam, or a pie this one in my opinion would be excellent. I’m going to allow the others to fully ripen and see how they taste. I’m about to go out and do my first light picking of Lane. Have a great day. Bill

2 Likes

Interesting! Is that just because they’re not very sweet?

1 Like

I’m very impressed with the vigor of muscadines, specifically the Lane variety. It managed to hit the top of my pergola today which is about 11’ off the ground.

I’ve been judiciously removing any buds attempting at side branching every 3-5 days and as a result the main trunk shot straight up growing at what seems to be an inch per day.

The Black Beauty to the left of the Lane is a bit behind because the original plant died and was replaced.

(Scrub brush for scale)

3 Likes

Congratulations! I always felt like getting to the wire was my first goal. It most likely will grow a few more feet across you pergola.

They might get sweeter as they soften but they are tart with a thick hull and I have no better way to explain it other than they have that wild before improvement taste.

1 Like

Picture of Razzmatazz, Black Beauty, Darlene, Late Fry, and Oh My.

Based only on taste my niece has them rated Darlene, Black Beauty, Late Fry, Razz and Oh My. I have them as Darlene, Razz, Late Fry, Black Beauty and Oh My. All are good but I have a hard time telling when BB and Oh My are fully ripe. Razz taste good but does not taste like a muscadine.

8 Likes

Thanks for the update.