Muscadines 2021

I’m surprised that Gurneys is still listing Razz and Oh My at what I consider such a high price. Even with the discounts they cost a lot compared to seeded varieties. With that said I have one of the Oh My. It has been uprooted for the move to it’s new home.

6 Likes

Some nurseries take the position that you don’t have to impress the old customers, if there’s enough new ‘suckers’ coming along. A garden center in an area where houses and apartments are going up like dandelions rising in spring, just south of Lexington KY, keeps in business despite this philosophy.

If folks can spend hours on Ebay or Facebook, surely they can spend some time looking for the best plant and seed deals…including looking for the reputation of those making claims.

50 years ago Gurney’s was my favorite catalog, but not anymore.

5 Likes

Do the seedless muscadines actually taste like a muscadine? None of the seedless grapes, green, red, or black, that I have seen in grocery stores tastes like a grape.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any to sample yet. Guessing that they will be similar to some of the bronze muscadine varieties.

Just got this from ISONS. Something new from them.

Majesty is a black/ female muscadine. It is a cross between Supreme and Triumph. It offers large 1 1/2" grapes, a long shelf life and is disease resistant. The fruit has firm flesh texture with a relatively thin skin. The vine is vigorous and had good fruit yields. Mid to late season. Exceptional flavor. Only 200 available.

2 Likes

This is an Interesting youtube video about a second year Oh My seedless muscadine. Is seedless the future of muscadine varieties?

3 Likes

Mine definitely won’t be seedless types. I ordered self-fertile Isons and Paulk, female Sugargate, Black Beauty, and am going to try whatever comes up from the massive numbers of seed I have. The fruit came from Paulk Vineyards, so it should be fine as far as genetics go.

1 Like

I belive so, big fruit size with seedlessness

1 Like

Of the varieties you have I have only tasted Black Beauty and it is delicious.

3 Likes

Based on the limited information I have gotten Oh My gets from 3/4 to 1" size. This is a good size for freezing and eaten as a frozen snack. Black Beauty and Supreme are very good tasting but a little big to munch on while frozen. Seedless will also make cobblers and jams easier to make. Now we need more choices in seedless muscadines.

1 Like

I have a Seedless Fry from Ison’s on order, is the Seedless Fry and the Oh My about the same plant as far as taste go?

1 Like

I’m not sure but I think they are two different varieties.

1 Like

I have had Hall for two years and it is one of my grands favorites.

2 Likes

Granny Val vs Late Fry. I don’t grow either of these two.

1 Like

I think seeds and tough skin are the only reasons they are not mainstream now. Remove that and they should be marketable. Maybe I am bias from childhood muscadine memories, but I think they are much better than table grapes.

2 Likes

Table grapes have been bred for sweet edible pulp. Muscadines have astringent to bitter pulp. Table grapes have been bred for thin edible skins. Muscadines have thick skins that can be eaten, but are not exactly going to win converts from table grapes. Muscadines have seed. Table grapes have been bred with various genes for seedless fruit. Any way you slice it, muscadines won’t go mainstream until the genetics at least catch up. Seedlessness is a huge step in the right direction.

2 Likes

As we speak muscadines are being bred to match all of those specs. Recent years they have been showing up in grocery stores. I think they will be mainstream soon. Only the skins have a touch of astingent. That is being bred out as well. I never eat the skins anyway. Just pop the guts in your mouth.

2 Likes

I’ve got a lot of blind wood on my black beauty and sugargate muscadines. Any tips on how to correct this situation? Will cutting into the vines above the nodes stimulate branching where I want it? My temporary solution is I have found some canes that grew parallel to the main vine and left them long enough to fill in gaps if I can develop some side shoots on them. But I’d rather re-grow the shoots from the main vine if possible.

1 Like

When my Black Beauty was two years old it had a few long areas without spurs. I pruned all the spurs back to two/three buds in February and in it’s third year many of the areas without spurs grew out.

I recommend replacing the main cane of a muscadine every 4 or 5 years. They lose productivity when the vine gets too old and too large, also, large vines are more susceptible to cold damage in winter. They get cold, then the sun shines on them and they split along the length. If you maintain mostly young canes less than 5 years old, there are fewer problems. I can always find a fast growing sprout that can be trained to replace the main cane within 2 growing seasons and with no loss of production.

4 Likes