Muscadines 2021

My Lane hasn’t reached the top of the pergola yet so I’ve been rubbing off all but the top-most growth. I thought I would get at least one flower cluster but no dice.

2 Likes

I will most likely be next year before the Lane has blooms.

2 Likes

This has been my experience as well. Black Beauty is wayyyy ahead of Lane. I’m in season 2 with them and BB has 12 feet of growth down the wire while Lane just reached the the wire and is working on trying to attach itself.

I took out one of my Lane’s and replaced it with Paulk. We’ll see if it can match BB’s vitality.

1 Like

My BB is on the faster side of all my mucadines for growth.

1 Like

Found some super healthy-looking muscadines at a local nursery in Feb or March (massive roots). They were labeled Carlos and Cowart… both self-fertile. I picked up several of each because they were 2-3x bigger than what i’ve seen from ison/bottoms. Unfortunately, the flowers just started opening and they are both female-type varities… so i have several unknown female bronze and female purple vines now :frowning:

1 Like

If you’re feeling brave you can try grafting on known varieties:

1 Like

I’ve actually done some muscadines grafting myself. I did almost exactly what that post you quoted describes… approach grafting new green growth is the way to go.

I did the grafts last May… and some of those vines made it 15ft by the end of the season and are full of grapes this year. On the other hand, some grafts are still only 6 inches long.

in my frustration of discovering the sex of the flowers of these vines, I hadn’t considered grafting them. BUT you might be right - I think it will be worth a try to approach graft some of these.

2 Likes

Any guesses as to why some succeeded and others stalled?

1 Like

I’m interested in any Muscadine x True Vitis hybrid.
only have one;
Z74.21.5
And it’s probably only 1/8 Muscadine.
Muscadine is hardy enough for the Puget Sound Lowlands
but most ripen way too late.

1 Like

Gave up on my Lane surviving the the recent move and the grass/weeds were moving in. Today I noticed a root sucker that had popped up. It will take a couple of years to get back producing but that is okay.

5 Likes

Might not be that bad. The small vine can now be shaped to the new setup. The older ones may take some time off anyway to rebuild roots and settle in.

1 Like

Update on my first spring/summer of muscadines!

Nesbitt has reached the top of the wire

Supper excited for this guy, now to get him down the wire.

The questionable triumph never broke dormancy. I’ll likely be replacing it this fall with an Ison’s 2yr “plus” plant.

And my Noble has continued to grow. I’ve allowed two runners to grow ~8” a tad early/low on the plant (~3.5ft) but this plant is going to run along my 4ft fence so figured it shouldn’t hurt anything.

Really excited that my Nesbitt reached the wire in its first year, especially considering the cool start to spring and the less than ideal “urban” soil in my yard.

Now to figure out what 2-3 other varieties to plant while I get the soil amended and the second trellis built. Excited seeing how everyone else’s vines seem to be doing this season!

2 Likes

It appears to be growing fast which is what I would like from my first year vines. Whatever your doing seems to be working well.

Early returns on Paulk are that it is more vigorous than Lane but not as lively as Black Beauty. Should be a nice trio.

1 Like

Paulk looks like a very good muscadine but I am running out of space. I might eventually replace my Lane with it.

1 Like

I have had Majesty muscadines since 2012. I like them ok. There was a bad winter in 2014 or 15 and they suffered some die back right next to some Delicious muscadines that were unharmed. Then this year we had a cold spell that killed 4 of my other muscadines down to the ground, but didn’t hurt the Majesties. Go figure.

1 Like

Hard to see against green backdrops but here’s a look at how the vines are progressing. Zone 7A. Black Beauty is a must have if you’re looking for vigor.

Black Beauty (2nd season. Ison’s)

Lane (2nd season. Wilson Bros)

Paulk (1st season. Ison’s)

3 Likes

This weekend I noticed my Noble vine wasn’t looking so good. We had a couple days throughout the week of heavy rain (1-2” pop-ups) and I had applied a pinch of Epsom salt at the beginning of the week. Not entirely sure what’s causing this but the leaves are all very limp, pale green on the front and intravenously red on the backs of the leaves.

Interestingly, the leaves near the base in the Blue-X tube seem to be doing just fine. Anyone have any ideas as to what’s going on and how to proceed?

1 Like

For the last three years about this time of the year I have a few tip ends that look like the one you posted. After a week or two one of the buds will start growing again without any problems other than a short slow down. I can only speculate as to why this happens. This mostly happens on my young vines that I’m trying to grow fast. I think the cause is mostly due to the time of the year when it is hot and the vines are stressed. Keep them watered as needed and be careful not to overreact with a cure. Hope that your vines recover fast.

2 Likes

You’re right about the vigor of Black Beauty. All your vines look healthy. If all goes as I think they will at this time next year that vine will be touching the ground by now.

1 Like