Muscadines 2022

Deer eyeing my Cowarts.

Anchor pole on end leans in instead of out. When I originally built the trellis, I put some “Quickcrete” in the posthole, but it did not hold the outward lean. Geneva Double Curtain.
IMG_11461

4 Likes

Picture of Scuppernong jelly I cooked up using low-sugar pectin recipe. Taste is much better than eating the fresh Scuppernongs!

Actually, I generally like jam better than jelly. A few years ago, I tried canning Concord grape jam. I tried this by separating the skins and then using a strainer to get the seeds out of the juice and pulp. Combine everything but the seeds and cooked it up using pectin. Seemed like the toughness of the skins of the Concords (which is at least nearly as tough as most any muscadine skin) made the jam less desirable than the jelly I normally make out Concords. However, I have noticed that Scuppernong skins are not quite as tough as the skins of my Cowart’s. I may try making jam out of my Scuppernongs next year. I have made excellent plum jam with the skins included.

Anyone have experience cooking grapes (including the skins) into jam?

I’m guessing that now with all the muscadines picked that it is a good time to fertilize the vines.

IMG_1227

3 Likes

Fertilizer is needed in late fall if muscadines produced a heavy crop. Apply as soon as the grapes have been harvested. I’ve had best results giving 5 to 10 pounds per plant. This is for mature muscadines that typically produce 100+ pounds of fruit per year.

4 Likes

Paulk is really good off the vine. I only have 3 points of reference but on a 1-10 scale i’d put 'em

Paulk 9
Black Beauty 8
Lane 5

4 Likes

Anyone know what variety these muscadines are?

IMG_12481

1 Like

I just received 2 Oh My Seedless and was wondering if I should plant them now outside or should I put them in a small pot and keep inside till spring? Didn’t know if the roots would grow since the cold airs coming on?

3 Likes

If they were my plants I would go ahead and plant them. Keep them watered and the roots will grow some before going dormant. Those are expensive vines so I would also put a secure cage around them. As always it is your decision as to when to plant.

2 Likes

Bill,
I’d like to add that dormancy does not mean total root shutdown for most plants. It is important to insure that non-native and hybrid specimens have adequate moisture in the soil during dormant seasons so that root processes vital to fruiting can take place.

4 Likes

Some kind of wonderful frozen snack. Straight from the freezer to my bowl (Oh My).

5 Likes

I got my Oh My the other day and it looks healthy but tiny. I really don’t want to keep it outside in the ground all winter but don’t know how to handle its dormancy. :flushed:. It’ll be safer in ground than in a pot but it’s just soooo small……and expensive!….

2 Likes

I’m hoping Gurney’s will ship it to CA during bareroot season.

1 Like

I don’t know how long people have been eating fresh frozen grapes. My first experience goes back about 25 years ago at our monthly Chamber of Commerce meeting. One of the snacks was a large bowl of seedless table grapes and I took out a few. These types of grapes are difficult to grow in my area so fast forward and the seedless muscadine made a pretty good replacement and has a more robust taste. They are slightly more chewy.

1 Like

I don’t grow Razz (seedless) but I would think that it would also make a good frozen snack

1 Like

I’m looking for that muscadine flavor in a seedless package.

1 Like

Hope your Oh My grows well. My 8” vine arrived a little before our last frost and freeze dates ended. I went ahead and planted it and watched the weather. If I remember correctly I covered it with a couple of layers of cloth a couple of times when it was predicted to frost or freeze. Now that my vines are older they appear to be as hardy and vigorous as my other varieties. A friend gifted me with another vine when he decided he didn’t want to pick any more muscadines than what he already had. I have way more fruit than I can use but dines are enjoyable to grow.

1 Like

Oh My to my taste doesn’t have the heavy muscadine flavor as my black varieties do but they aren’t as mild as regular table types. I’m hoping that they will develop a seedless one that tastes like Black Beauty, Southern Home or Paulk etc.

Meaning European grapes?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

My favorite football snack, frozen Hall muscadines. My college team hasn’t played well this season but I’m sure we won’t lose this weekend.

3 Likes

Goes well with the countertop and backsplash :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like