Muscadines know how to bloom

I have fruit! There are several clusters on Fry. All others are still just blooming.

Katy

2 Likes

Those look well ahead of my assortment and the your others appear to be a little ahead of the ones I have. It will be interesting to see when it ripens. My Lane is the first to ripen.

I think I might be a half zone ahead of you depending on the map I look at. And we had a very short winter so everything here is a bit ahead of normal. I did find some of the Cowart that blooms had converted to fruit. It will be interesting to compare. I do have Lane but only planted this spring.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been fertilizing this year according to Isonā€™s instructional videos. I wish I had done that last year. My second year plants are fantastic and my first year plants area a long distance down the wire already.

Second year:

First year:

Katy

6 Likes

Isonā€™s has some great videos. Two of my favorite are the first and second year training up to and down the wire.

3 Likes

Fruit is darkeningā€¦this is Cowart.

Local wild ones are ripeningā€¦

Katy

6 Likes

Nice looking Muscadine. Ison list it as being self pollinating with edible skin. I have never had this variety and I would like your opinion of it when it ripens. Thanks, Bill

2 Likes

Sure. It looks like the first that will ripen. I got it for pollinator but I did read that it was good fresh. Iā€™m getting excited. Some of my vines are amazing on Isonā€™s feeding program. I still have one more application of calcium nitrate to go. I have what I think is lots of fruit for second year plants. Several are blooming again but I would supposed that those fruits will not have time to ripen. Have you had experience with this?

2 Likes

I picked a few Cowarts today. Iā€™m not really sure how to know when to pick. The color was good and they were softening a bit. So I took the plunge expecting them to be tart. Nopeā€¦I ate four and my husband had three. We both vote :+1:. Very sweet. Skin was tender and had very little tartness. No seeds! Well, if there were seeds they were soft and very unnoticeable. So Iā€™ve gone out and found three more that donā€™t seem to be quite as ripe. I did find seeds and chewed down on one of them and it was crunchy and bitter!!! :flushed::rofl:. Just got through eating these and they were a bit tart but no more so than some grapes Iā€™ve bought in the grocery. Skins werenā€™t quite as tender as the riper ones. All in all I think itā€™s a good grape and also a pollinator. (There are larger ones but not as ripe yet)

4 Likes

I donā€™t have this variety but I have tasted several others and most all the ones sold are pretty sweet when they soften. Some varieties like Lane, Black Beauty, and Supreme will sweeten a little ahead of softening. My big surprise was the Southern Home. I was expecting it to take on at least a little of the grape part of itā€™s dna but it to me taste the most like wild ones I use to pick. When it ripens it can also be very sweet. Iā€™m really getting into growing muscadines so your pictures and comments are very interesting. I hope to have a few Lane ripening soon.

2 Likes

The question of Cowart and Black Beauty taste just got confusing. I supposedly bought 2 BB and 2 Cowart plants. I have three plants with small fruit and one plant with large fruit. The plant with large fruit is labeled Cowart. Soā€¦ I donā€™t know. BB is the one supposed to have large fruit. All are good but I donā€™t have a clue if labels were wrong etc. (bought all at Walmart----I know, I knowā€¦)

Katy

2 Likes

When Black Beauty ripens they are about 1.25". I was just out looking at my Lane which is starting to get ripe 1". The Black Beauty is a later ripening variety and it is still small, green and about .5". I only have two BB fruit so I was guessing that it would get bigger as it approaches ripening time or it wasnā€™t fully pollinated. Is your BB ripening or is it still green?

1 Like

I have a few ripening on each vine I have. So IF I have a BB then yes it is ripening. I really donā€™t know what I have other than the Fry that seems to match its description. Next year my vines that start bearing all came from Isonā€™s so Iā€™ll feel better about what I have. The fruit on these ā€œBBā€ are ripening at about 0.5". One of the ā€œCowartā€ has fruit that looks exactly the same and one of them has fruit about 1" or soā€“no larger. So either three of them are mislabeled or all four. My favorite though is a bronze unknown which I think might be Darlene. Everything is ripening but the Darlene and Fry are a bit behind the purple ones. AND I have new fruit on the bronze ones that is large enough that it might ripen!! Maybe.

2 Likes

Thanks

i have also tasted cowart and they are very good, the little ones donā€™t seed to have seeds at all but i recently read that you wait for muscadines to dull and then eat them

3 Likes

This does seem a little small for BB but I have had stranger things happen. My Southern Home was a little smaller last season but that might just be from the increased rain. Iā€™m located near an orchard with different muscadine varieties so I was able to test before buying but Iā€™m still not comfortable with correct varieties until they fruit.

2 Likes

They all taste good. Iā€™m about to try an air layer on the one that I like that Iā€™m not sure what it is. Iā€™m not sure what I will do with it but Iā€™m gonna give it a goā€¦

2 Likes

These are pictures of Lane and Black Beauty with buds at different stages within the same cluster.20190525_193722 20190525_193243

Whats your opinion on Black Beauty vs Supreme, if you had to pick one for productivity + taste.

Going to be ordering muscadines this year! Thinking about going with BB / Supreme with Lane as pollinator.

2 Likes

All three of your selections are good in my opinion. BB and Sup are large good tasting fruit. Taste wise I give BB a slight edge. Lane is a little smaller and it has the most grape like texture. I have also added Hall and Oh My but they havenā€™t fruited yet. As of now Sup and Lane are the heaviest producers.

2 Likes