Mustang chum

Has anyone tasted mustang chum?

1 Like

crickets…

1 Like

I just had a Mustang rootstock put up suckers this year. No word on fruits, but I was planning to test it out over the next few years.

2 Likes

I’ve had Sapalta. It has a plummy, sweet, vinous flavor but also an overwhelming tannic flavor in the skin.

1 Like

Put in mustang, manor and kappa this year. (trying anything that may produce for daughters orchard/market garden). Grew like weeds, from seedlings last spring to bushes between 4 and 5’ tall. Hoping see some flowers next spring. Very easy to clone. Have some seedlings under growlights for the winter in case they’re tasty. Zone 2 hardy so plant and forget here in zone 3.

Have read different things about taste. Some say once fully ripe(almost overripe) are good eating, mustang supposed to taste the most like cherry. Others say are tart and really not very good.

Figured they’re worth a shot.

2 Likes

Astringency is on the skin, disappears when they look overripe (wrinkled skin). That’s when they are highest in sugars and flavor, never much for aromatics. My experience in eastern KS - I like them. Good preserves, also.

3 Likes

I finally got fruits this season (2023) and picked several of the fruits at varying ripeness from firm to soft but none were really that appealing. Great as a rootstock tho since it took an apricot and another hybrid both of which failed to take on a satsuma tree I also grafted to.

2 Likes

I came across this site: All About Cherry Plums: A Delicious Treat - Minneopa Orchards if you scroll down there’s a recipe for chum crumble. Since daughter also sells baking figure there’s another option.

1 Like

This is one of those I just am not sure about. Figure once they produce if they’re saleable, great. They weren’t expensive to purchase so figure worth a shot.

Kinda like the haskaps, for years I figured if we can grow blueberries and saskatoons(btw, smokey s’toons when ripe are a fine hair from a good blueberry); why would we grow haskaps, but now just want to grow anything daughter can sell.

There’s a new variety of plumcot out, cross between a sapalta chum and a capilano apricot. Going to try the makeup brush/bag thing come spring with our 2 var of apricot, see if we can’t some up with some good fruit that’ll grow here without very intensive winter protection. (wish me luck, I’m a neophyte)

2 Likes

Ah, “Bei Tang”, please report your findings when it fruits!

2 Likes

You bet, have 2 of them coming for spring. Real excited for a new hardy variety to try. Prob be at least 2 or 3 years to fruit I’m guessing.

2 Likes

Mustang suckers at the base of my Black Ice tree. I know that the garden bed is a mess, lol.

3 Likes

Kappa is a nice fruit very dark inside and out, skin is astringent but not too bad. Sapalta is best Chum I’ve had in jam it has an almond flavour along with plummy very nice

3 Likes

@nil I take it you have black ice directly grafted to the mustang(i.e. no interstem)?