Mutant Musa SH-3640 banana

Continuing the discussion from Who is growing bananas for fruit?:

Here’s what turns out to be a mutant SH-3640 banana plant I obtained last year. It is moving right along!

6 Likes

Emerging fruit bud … harvest will likely occur next summer :slight_smile:

3640 bud emerging 2017-11-02

10 Likes

Today.

SH-3640 bud 2017-11-09

6 Likes

progress …

4 Likes

The pseudo-stem height at budding is about 4’ 10".

SH-3640 pstem height 2017-11-14

SH-3640 2017-11-14

6 Likes

Richard, let me first say I’m asking this question with zero experience related to growing bananas and a history of only doing my orcharding in the frigid Boston area, but why do you leave all the suckers (pups, I think they’re called) coming up around the momma banana plant?

1 Like

I pull them out when they’re about knee-high – or prior if they are becoming invasive. One of them will remain though for the follow-on crop but I’ve yet to decide which.

1 Like

Huh, 4’10" is kind of short, isn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, although not unheard of for a first time transplant.

1 Like

4 Likes

Infant fruit. The fresh female flowers are completely beige.

d071846d0e8b6d5c_7564-w618-h326-b0-p0--paint

5 Likes

Male flowers.

6 Likes

New bud emerging!

3 Likes

Female flowers emerging …

2 Likes

How many banana trees do you have room for in your beds, Richard?

I have four different hybrids growing in a total of two planter beds. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Inflorescence at sunrise

7 Likes

I have a Dwarf Brazilian with inflorescence, but way too late for my climate. Can’t seem to get the timing right. Third year now it has bloomed too late. Have about six more that may be ready in Spring if winter isn’t to harsh.

You have it sooo good Richard.:blush:

TFN

5 Likes

I had lots of practice in selecting pups for summer ripening when I lived in zone 9b. Now I’m relearning it … this one and my Namwa flowered 4 months earlier than expected. I’ll be surprised if the fruit makes it through our “winter” to harvest in May.

I had Orinoco fruit last year…just did make it before winter, but that is the only one in three years of trying. The plants are beautiful though, that is why I continue to grow them.

TFN

8 Likes