Mutant Musa SH-3640 banana

Loaf 1 of 3. The other two are vacuum-sealed in the freezer.

4 Likes

they didn’t last long

3 Likes

They never do!

1 Like

struggling to decide if these are ready to harvest…thoughts??

3 Likes

When one of the fingers has mostly turned yellow, harvest the entire bunch.

4 Likes

perfect. that’s exactly what I needed to know.

1 Like

@jeremymillrood
Examples of three different harvests:

3 Likes

yeah you can clearly see the yellow ones…about how long did yours take from when they flowered to harvest? I know we’re comparing different varieties but I’m just trying to get a ballpark idea.

1 Like

In locations where temperatures drop below 50°F during any part of the year, ripening times depend more on local weather from flower to harvest than cultivar. I’ve had ripening times stretch from 3 months to 7 months on the same cultivar in the same location in different years.

1 Like

Good information. Wish I could remember when these flowered…could probably go back in my google photos and find out…

As far as temps go, the last time we were below 50 was probably early March. and we won’t see those temps again for at least another 3 months. Based on that it seems there will be more than sufficient time for ripening…

1 Like

Banana plants that experience sustained temperatures below 50°F will behave differently than those grown in the strict tropics. It’s all part of the fun!

1 Like

That’s something I never considered…I guess being in a zone where you can grow a wide variety of fruits poses unique challenges this being one of them…I’d imagine sustained temps below 50 would cause ripening times to be extended…

1 Like

During our winter and prior to fruiting the growth slows down a lot- e.g., a new leaf a month vs. a new leaf a week. How fast they emerge from this depends on Spring weather each year. Plus, a sustained trip into the 60°s in the early summer for a single day can slow growth again for a week. If there is fruit at this point then ripening might slow too – or not :rofl:

2 Likes

so basically it’s a crap shoot…I’m just excited because this is the first time that mine have flowered well in advance of winter so there is plenty of time for ripening…

2 Likes

Figured this bunch was ready to pick…couldn’t believe how heavy these are…Has to weigh close to 25 or 30 lbs…Let the garage ripening begin…

7 Likes

Those are fat! Almost like plantains

1 Like

There are also skinny plantains.

2 Likes

About a week ago when I was contemplating cutting them down I accidentally cut into one…When I cut them down yesterday I noticed one was almost completely ripe so I tasted it…still needed some ripening, but they’re definitely bananas…odd shaped ones that’s for sure.

1 Like

Across all the cultivars of non-plantain bananas, yours are normal shape and the chiquita bananas in the store are not.

2 Likes

As long as they taste good I don’t care what they look like…

2 Likes