My 7a in ground citrus

Going into the second winter with these. Protection was and is C9 Christmas lights that come on below 38F. 2 layers of Frost cloth below 40’s and a couple tarps when it’s down in the teens and at every night. Trying a few pineapple this year too

14 Likes

Nice! What citrus cultivars are you growing?

Brave I assume you also cover them in that hoop house?

Trifoliate grows well in our zone so I plan to brave a Citrumelo hybrid. I am going to bring it in this winter and plant it out afterwards.

2 Likes

Why not take them inside for the winter! If you follow the MeyerLemon, Key Lime or citrus threads you will see the lemon bars and homemade key lime pies I have made. It works for me without all of the trouble. They are in a room with Southern exposure.

2 Likes

Meyer lemon, Armstrong satsuma, miho satsuma, dekopon, Washington naval

1 Like

I did that for years with these. They grow much better in the ground of course. My greenhouse was getting too small and since I’d be heating them in there I figured why not do it with them in the ground. A few people I know in the North East are doing the same and have for much longer with similar success.

1 Like

I would guess with that much protection they would survive. If you keep them this small it’s a piece of cake. When your orange trees are 25ft high and wide you will have your hands full.

Calron
Yes last year they did well. I plan to keep them less than 5’. More like bushes.

2 Likes

I’m use to the trees here. They can get pretty damn big.

Well I’ll just build taller hoops! Lol

Here is the setup last year on a warm day.

1 Like

Babies lol
My lemon tree is an 1/8 the size of the house.
But it’s cool you are getting these through the winter.

Enjoy!

1 Like

These are 7 years old. 2 years in ground.

2 Likes

7 years old … since obtaining from nursery or ?

You made me look in my notes Richard. Lol. Meyer, naval and armstrong are 8 they were budded in 2010. The miho and dekopon I’m not sure. Bought them both in 2015 and if I guessed they were year from budding.

1 Like