My Backyard Orchard So Far

No, we have no “large demand from Asian immigrants” in San Diego county. There was a large influx of Asian immigrants to S. California after the Viet Nam war, and as such, we have several “Little Viet Nam” communities up in Orange County and Los Angeles county, but that was decades ago, and is not happening in San Diego county at all right now, nor was San Diego county heavily impacted by that SE Asian immigration in the '70’s like counties north and northeast of us. Not sure where you would have gotten that information. We have a jobs slowdown here in our county, and jobs helps to drive the real estate market. People, in general, will only migrate to an area if they can find jobs. It’s not always about great weather. No jobs - no large influx of any group of people.

Hoosierquilt, you are very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country. I’ve spent several Months in San Diego over the last 10 years and it’s truly one of my favorite places to visit. I prefer the weather of the coastal area more than the hotter inland areas but overall beautiful and so much to do. We found ourselves often taking the coaster train up the coast to Oceanside and spent some time in La Jolla and Torey Pines area. Pretty good craft beer scene there as well :beer:

One of these days when I retire I may consider relocating to SoCal. Cheers.

Patty, Amazing! don’t know where you got your infomation. According to government data, San Diego county population has grow 10 % since 2000, that is a lot of growth for a city! Below is the government date for CA large general fast growing cities, Your San Diego surpassed LA, and SF.

San Diego, California:Population in 2013: 1,355,896 (100% urban, 0% rural). Population change since 2000: +10.8%

San Francisco, California:Population in 2013: 837,442 (100% urban, 0% rural). Population change since 2000: +7.8%

Los Angeles, California:Population in 2013: 3,884,307 (100% urban, 0% rural). Population change since 2000: +5.1%

Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $430,100 (it was $220,000 in 2000).Your Estimated median house or condo value has been doubled!
Estimated median household income in 2012: $62,395 (it was $45,733 in 2000), Wage was increase buy 36% compare to 2000!

With 10% more people walking , living in San Diego, how come you say there is no large influs of any group of people? What is the % increase is your definition of large increase ? After Viet Nam War, What is the % of the Asian immigrants to S.California that you called large influs?

I would not say 10% growth over 15 years is overly significant. It is relative, I think. I am born and raised S. California girl, and am used to seeing large influx of folks to California over the last 60 years. Lately, it has not been so much, mainly due to the economy. California is not the most attractive place for a company to set up business. Without new companies, there are not a lot of new jobs. Without new jobs, there are not a lot of new home starts. Yes, in comparison to SF and LA, as both areas are saturated with people and have very little space left to build plus being very expensive, but there is not big “boom” going on right now, trust me. I live here.

My house right now is worth about 1/2 to 3/4 of what it was worth between 2003 and 2008 (market topped out here in 2008). I know. I bought it in 2009 at the bottom of the market. I made a killing. My sister is my real estate agent and has sold real estate here for over 30 years. Nothing in my neighborhood is selling right now. The market is very flat unless it is in the under $350,000 price range, which is being bought up by flippers and those wanting to invest in rental properties.

Every homeowner in my development who purchased their home prior to 2009 is upside down, still. Those of us who bought after 2009 (buying these homes in distress, either as short sales or repos, every sale BUT mine was, in fact), are right side up, but only at the loss of the previous owner. The previous owners of my house lost hundreds of thousands of dollars on this house. I felt terrible for them. It was my gain and their terrible loss. They ran through all their savings, but were able to stay right side up, only because they had put a huge down payment (which they lost in the sale) on the house, and were able to pay off the loan upon the sale of the house. The market is slowly coming back, but very slowly. It is very flat right now, but hopefully, it will pick up as we approach summer.

We have made money since buying, but the S. California real estate market can be extremely volatile. Sort of like day trading - it really depends when you buy. If you’re very fortunate to buy at the bottom of the market, your fine. If you buy at the top, you need to sit on your property for a while. Possibly a LONG while, in order to recover and get right side up, again. My neighbors who bought when the development first went up in 2003 to 2008 are still waiting. 12 years is a long time to wait to recover. Some folks couldn’t wait, and they took a terrible bath. This is the same sort of long-distance misconception folks on the east coast had when we tried to move here in 2009 - “Oh, everything is a short sale, you must have had your pick of homes to buy, heard it is a buyer’s market!” Yes, EVERYTHING was a short sale. The banks were overwhelmed. We could not communicate with anyone at the bank because they all were so overwhelmed. In fact, on bank told my sister that no one in the short sale department could return her call to let us know about the offer we made because they didn’t have any phones in that department (because there were so many calls to the department, they couldn’t manage all the calls, so they just turned off the phones.) It took us over 30 offers and 18 months to buy a house, and only because the house we bought was NOT a short sale. Just a desperation sale. Folks back east just could not understand why we couldn’t buy a house when there were ALL these homes for sale at ridiculously low prices. Sigh.

There are no large influxes of any particular group or culture, with the exception of Hispanic folks still coming over the border here, which has been the case since the beginning of time. Are people in general, coming to SD county? Yes, but not as much, and not a specific increase in any one culture as you’ve mentioned. You cannot always rely on wide statistics, IL. I can tell you without any doubt. Also, wages are not keeping up with the cost of living here in SD county, so our quality of life is going down. We just had a piece on this on our local NBC affiliate last week. And, our unemployment rates are up as well. You make it sound like we’re having a boom here. I shared your information with my sister, and she just laughed. She knows - she makes her living selling houses in SD county. Here’s what she said to me:

“It’s not booming. We already had our big recovery and are now seeing a 6 to 7 percent appreciation. But we still have low inventory. I think a lot of this is due to many move up buyers having bought during the peek and still not having enough equity to move up. I spoke with Robert Brown, Economics Professor at California State University at San Marcos today about that. He publishes monthly stats on the N. County and San Diego County housing markets. He agrees. We also spoke about the fact that with our low inventory we should be seeing homes sell very quickly but that’s not happening. They are selling, but not as fast as they should with the current inventory.”

As far as the percentage increase in Southeast Asians that moved to California after the Viet Nam war - a lot. The first wave of SE Asian immigrants were wealthier SE Asians, who could escape with some of their possessions. After things got bad, they were escaping with just the shirts on their backs. The poorer people, including the Hmong & Mien and other indigenous cultures from SE Asia came over in the last waves. My sister and I are very, very familiar with this, as she was an ESL professor at Long Beach City College and I was a nurse in Long Beach, taking care of these immigrants. And warding off TB. If you want to see the percentages, just Google it, there is a ton of info about this, and specifically immigration to California. People to continue to move here, but not anywhere near like they did decades ago.

Speedster, I kneel down and kiss the ground every morning. I am so grateful to be back home, after having lived in N. Indiana for 10 years, then 4 more in Maryland. Not that both places aren’t wonderful and lovely, they are. But for this little surfer girl, having to shovel snow, and freeze her patootie off for 14 years, I am so very thankful to be back home! The city of Vista has been granted, “the best weather in the USA”, and I live in a part of Vista that has the best weather in the entire city. I am surrounded by either orchards or commercial growing grounds because our weather is essentially perfect. And yes, N. San Diego county has now grabbed the “craft brewery capital of the world”. It is a lot of fun to live here, I pinch myself every day. And, I live on an acre of paradise, we’ve been on tours because our yard is so cool. I am a very blessed person, and I don’t take it for granted. :wink:

2 Likes

Hoosierquilt,
Well said…I bought my house in Georgia at the right time and I love it. I was born in North Carolina but raised all my life in New Jersey. I moved to Georgia 15 years ago, and it bears repeating: I love it! I can grow just about everything here except citrus and sweet cherries. I have never been to California but someday I am going to visit this state. What is your favorite fruit to grow and eat or are you like me–you love them all? LOL

Probably my favorite fruits are citrus, but of stone/pomes it would be a tie between cherries and my Fuji apples.

Patty, I bought my house two years ago and my next door neighbor bought theirs last year. There are more buyers here in coastal San Diego than single family homes on the market. My home value went up $100K in one year on demand alone, before I started reconstruction. Perhaps buyers are just not interested in your house?

The influx of Asian money is very real but it’s not in the form of immigration. Investment from wealthy Asians, particularly wealthy Chinese, is very heavy in all California markets right now.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Richard, that’s not because we’re having a boom. It’s because our inventory (homes for sale) is way, way, way down. It is Econ 101 - supply and demand. Demand isn’t up, supply is very much down. And, my house isn’t for sale :slight_smile: There are certain price ranges that are moving in our marketplace right now, but it is only a narrow price range. Trust me, folks. My sister makes her living in this industry and has for the last 4 decades. We are just now seeing a small uptick in that price range, but that is not unexpected, as this is the time the market cyclically picks up - springtime heading into summer.

And Chris, entirely different subject, and not argued. Asian investment monies have been flowing into the USA for the last 10 years. Including the state of California.

Your house would be a tough sell. Current buyers aren’t looking for an acre of property to maintain, let alone the 150 fruit trees on your property :smile:

Speaking of your fruit trees, how about starting a picture thread of your own with a peak at a few of them? At a picture a day, that would get you out of the house for about 6 months!

Hah, truly, my house isn’t for sale :slight_smile: My neighbors, whose homes did not sell this last winter, do not have near the amount of vegetation I have. It has more to do with the slow marketplace, than taking care of a large property. But, I will say, at this moment in time, anyone with 1/2 acre or more is going to be scrutinized more heavily by buyers. Even when I purchased my home back in 2009, that was one of the comments from the seller’s agent - “these properties (on 1 acre lots) will only appeal to a certain segment of buyers.” And that will always be true. Just like owners of condos, owners of homes crammed in the city, homes with only 2 bedrooms, etc. But, I didn’t buy this property for fast resale reasons. We bought it because it suited us. Like it suited the previous owners. And, all of us out here in my neighborhood. It is a niche market, just like Rancho Santa Fe is. Or Olivenhain, Elfin Forest, etc. I am one of those people who does not like hearing my neighbor’s toilet flush. Even though I am born and raised S. California girl, I grew up for the 1st half of my life in Fullerton on an acre property. My husband grew up back east in MA on 5 acres. We have lived most of our married lives on acreage (usually about 5 acres) either in California or Indiana. Every time we’ve had to live on small lots, we’ve hated it. So, for now, while I am still able-bodied God willing, I will continue to enjoy not listening to my neighbor’s toilet flush, or looking out my bedroom window as my neighbor walks across his bedroom window in his boxers. :open_mouth: :scream: :confused: Just me. And, enough others to support this type of home and lifestyle (or, all our homes would be empty). If and when I sell, I will most likely let our CRFG friends know they can come and take my fruit trees, like some of our other members have done, to make my home more attractive to the general public.

But Patty … this thread is about Goyo’s Backyard Orchard So Far!! Where’s your orchard thread? Or perhaps a new thread on SD housing market?? :smiley:

2 Likes

Read back through the thread, Richard. That will answer your question. I responded to several inaccurate comments from within the thread. And, on that topic, think the discussion about the San Diego housing market has been thoroughly vetted at this point, so I would ask that we not continue it. Let’s get back to Goyo’s lovely orchard. And Bonus Dog.

1 Like

Can I ask where do you get all your scions from?

1 Like

Crfg scion exchange. I dont know where you live but if you live in southern california the crfg orange county chapter is having their annual scion exchange tomorrow. I dont know if this year its open to the public or only to members but it may be a good idea to message them.

1 Like

I am in San Diego I have a few friends in that group, I’ll check it out.
Do you know if anyone have a seedless crystal guava ?