My First Jujube tree

I was thinking So too, but not sure if they will grow well in md or not. I think 3 gallons is fine. What about winter jujube? Have you grow them before? I am eating them right now, and they are just perfect, not too sweet and just right!

1 Like

I think So would grow fine in Md, as you arenā€™t that far from me in CT and So has been a solid producer here. Itā€™s growth habit is a bit lower than most other jujubes, forming more of a large bush than a central leader tree. My 12 year old one is at least 10-12 feet in all 3 dimensions. Though Iā€™m sure with some pruning you could make it into more of a vertical treeā€¦Iā€™m actually fine with this sort of structure, as it makes picking a easier.

I think ā€œWinterā€ would just be another name for Dong. Sandia is an earlier-ripening version of Dong. I just picked my first Sandia yesterday.

Even though the Sandia are only half brown, their brix was around 30, so I donā€™t know that I would call them ā€œnot too sweetā€ :slight_smile:

Their texture is light and good, but they are a bit more crumbling than a hard crunch. So has more of a hard crunch and a more balanced flavor (with the late-season So having a good sweet-tart). Both are good- just a matter of taste. Dong is about a week later than Sandia, so you could finding yourself picking them yellow in some years, which I may be doing in the next few days. Even in their blond state though they have enough brix to be worth eating.

But, I didnā€™t see any Winter/Dong/Sandia at EL. One of the few places you can get them is from ChineseRedDate.com.

4 Likes

Wow! There are just so many varieties to pick. Itā€™s so hard to choose. Too bad I donā€™t have space in my backyard for them. I was thinking growing them in pot, but they are much better in the ground. How many jujube trees do you have?

I guess we have to email the vendor @ Chinese Red date for pricing since they donā€™t list them directly on their site huh? I wonder if their shipping is expensive as well.

Last time I ordered from them (last spring), it was $55 shipping per box. I got 6 trees that time, so it was 2 boxes. Iā€™ve ordered from them at least 3 times over the years.

1 Like

I have one other planted and gifted one to the neighbor next door. Iā€™ll probably find room for one more. They seem to do alright in sunny former driveway locations and I have those available.

2 Likes

Bob,
I called edible today, and the guy on the phone was like. Honey jar trees are self-fertile. You donā€™t need to get another tree. Not sure if he knew what he is talk about, I added Li to the same order just to be sure. At first, I was going to add SO, but I want different sizes of fruits so I changed my mind and added Li to the same order. He said he only guarantees 90 days, but these trees will survive the cold . :slight_smile: fingers crossed! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I need to find a sunny location to put them down then.

1 Like

Technically, this is not true, even though people often use the terms interchangeably. Self-fertile implies the production of viable seeds from self-pollination. As far as we know, some jujubes appear to be self-pollinating, but none are truly self-fertile. Without cross-pollination, you get empty pits.

3 Likes

When protected from flowers of other varieties, Honey Jar produced no fruit. When it was open pollinated, it was one of the highest producers with 125 fruit per 100 branches.

4 Likes

That was my next question. How come most jujube seeds have no pit. Now I know!

1 Like

Very very interesting!

1 Like

Typical ignorant response from EL. He has no idea what he is talking about.
Unless youā€™re buying jujubes from Clifford England or Chinese Red Dates or other folks who specialize in jujubes, most nurseries know next to nothing about jujubes.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not why many jujubes seeds have no pit.
Many jujubes do not make seeds even if fully pollenized.

2 Likes

Why is that?

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I thought. Hence, I added Li to the same order.

1 Like

To clarify, a lot of jujube varieties donā€™t produce viable seeds, even when pollinated. Li for example- I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a usable seed come out of it. Others like Texas Tart will average more than 1 seed per pit. That is because the pit (the stony part) generally has 2 chambers, each of which can have a seed (the soft part that can be planted). When planting them, I crack open the pit with vice-grip pliers to extract the seed.

The above was pit with no seed (or a shriveled up seed fragment). The opposite also happens. I bit into a fruit and found a fully formed seed in the middle, not being protected by a hard shell. But Iā€™ve only found this once, after eating a lot of jujubesā€¦And even here, there was a soft membrane around the seed.

And the last permutation also exists- no pit, no seed. Itā€™s an annoying habit of some varieties, such as Chico and Shanxi Li.

My wife decided I had too many jujubes and sold some in bulk to friends. Anytime they wanted the large Liā€™s she would try to talk them out of them (while Iā€™m thinking- ā€œyes, take the Li, leave the little ones for meā€). And generally after sampling one of each everyone was asking for more Black Sea and Honey Jar. I had some So earlier today that were top-quality as well. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever had a Li that good.

But, it isnā€™t so bad to have a Li. It does have a more vertical habit than So, and you can use it as a large rootstock to graft better varieties.

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I learned so much from you!
I heard jujube are spreader. They spread everywhere if you donā€™t prune or maintain them. This is why some folks grow them in pots.

1 Like

Why do you have so many jujube trees? Just wonderingā€¦,

1 Like

I planted a few (~2012) and after a few years was surprised to find that I really liked them. I was surprised, since the only jujubes I had tried previously were the bland, spongy ones from Chinatown (often Li, which isnā€™t great at their best, but when picked green and shipped across the countryā€¦wow). So, after I decided I and kids decided that we liked them (my wife even likes the horrible ones from Chinatown), I kept planting more, really getting started in 2017. Not all jujube are productive immediately, especially the large ones. But they do gradually pick up steam. So, Iā€™ve been getting more and more fruit each year. Last year was a bit over 300lbs, while Iā€™m over 460lbs this year, even though the weather wasnā€™t as good for jujubes. So, Iā€™m getting to a point where it is taking a lot of time to pick them. Luckily, it seems there is a lot of demand for them, at least among Chinese people.

I also like to collect & optimize things, so Iā€™ve been spending some time getting ā€œallā€ the jujubes and figuring out which are good for what.

One thing that made it easy to keep planting more is that they donā€™t need much care. No need to spray insecticide, fungicide, etc. It isnā€™t a big deal to toss down some fertilizer in spring and early summer. Even a light pruning in late June to encourage fruitset doesnā€™t take much time. So, it wasnā€™t until I find myself picking a lot that I see the amount of time it can take :slight_smile:

It depends. If you mow the lawn around them, then they donā€™t really get the chance to spread, as you are just cutting down the suckers. If you ignore the whole area, Iā€™ve heard that they can form thorny thickets, particularly in the sunny SouthWest.

Growing them in pots is a lot more work than just keeping the suckers down. 10X or more. And a lot less output.

3 Likes