My Garlic

Garlic is much easier to grow than fruits :blush:

regular garlic cloves.

Bulbils.

What is the taste of apple wedges dipped with garlic sauce :smile:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of garlic.

They are easy to grow and do not cost tons of $$. At the far end it is my daffodil bed with 800+ plants.

1 Like

We grow alot of garlic too. Little ahead of ya tho. About 3 weeks from harvest now. We plant in October here.

6 Likes

And mine is somewhere between the two yours. Also, I have far fewer cloves planted than either of you, not even enough to make sufficient heads to last my family through the summer. I used it as an experimental filler to keep from wasting space over winter in one corner of a protected little 4X5 bed. of red cabbage and broccoli.

Mine just started, far away from harvest. Yours look very strong.

Actually this is just my first year growing garlic in its new bed. Iā€™m going to move to another bed.

Garlic is so easy and gratifying once you find/develop a variety that likes your site!
It may be pure coincidence, but our garlic always seems to do markedly better when we do the fall planting in the bed that just had potatoes.

This has been pretty consistent over many years of growing.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my Spanish Roja Garlic

2 Likes

I planted two varieties but only 16 total. They are growing well, I will probably keep planting these varieties in the future. I use more than that a year, I just donā€™t have room for more. Luckily an Italian produce store is nearby with the most awesome garlic.

Nice garlic Red Sun. I previously had garlic planted in a ring round a couple apple trees at my last home. It is supposed to repel borers and maybe other pests. I figure it couldnā€™t hurt. I will plant more next fall. Garlic is so healthy and tasty.

1 Like

The best thing for is that, deer does not eat them. So I can plant them in the wild. The only thing that can go wrong is the spring wet condition. May want to raise a mound next year.

1 Like

I have a couple of questions on garlic. Burpeeā€™s was closing out their garlic and I bought three varieties hoping to plant this fall. One variety has sprouted, do I have to plant that this spring or can I store it for this fall and how should I store the rest so they remain in good shape.
Thanks for your help, Chikn

Chikn, I donā€™t ā€œknowā€ what Iā€™m talking about here, but from my experiences with onion sets, which are also alliums, youā€™re going to have to plant that one sprouted variety now or the inside will go bad. Iā€™ve been able to save onion sets purchased in the spring until late fall planting just by keeping cool, dry, and dark.

I had to harvest almost all of my garlic last week because the tops had died down so much that if I waited any longer, I might not have been able to find them to get them out of the ground.

They grew so well that I know Iā€™ll be planting them every winter from now on. I love how winter crops take practically zero care compared summer and even spring planted crops. No pests or watering. Practically the only things that need to be done are to put them in the ground, protect from freezing, and harvest.

1 Like

Thanks Muddy, I was hoping for a magic bullet because I know garlic does so much better in the fall than spring. Get the tiller out and plant them. Do you think I can replant them this fall, November?

Chikn, youā€™re up north where itā€™s cooler and probably gets rain more often in the summer than we do here. Heck, I bet you might even be able to grow lettuce in summer up there. Might as well give it a go. If I were doing it, Iā€™d plan on harvesting them later, letting them dry, and then replanting the individual cloves. If youā€™re lucky, you might end up with a bumper crop for next yearā€™s harvest.

Exactly my thoughts, especially the bumper crop part!!

Lettuce bolts pretty quickly in the summer though

With the bad weather pattern resulting in low fruit count and the battle with the bugs fruit growing is frustrating. But then there is garlic. Trouble free and quickly multiplies. I ate sauteed garlic scapes today - delicious. They are a bonus while waiting for the main harvest of garlic bulbs. Plant it, wait, pick it. I need a fruit thatā€™s that easy.

2 Likes

Donā€™t we all.

Actually, thatā€™s what most of my grown kids assume involved. I guess thatā€™s because the extent of their involvement is usually just picking what they want when itā€™s ripe. :smile: I donā€™t know what they think Iā€™m doing with all the time I spend on the trees. They probably think Iā€™m sitting out there watching them grow.

2 Likes