My jujubes obsession dream came true for 2020!

Hi everybody! Im new here. I come and join here because I really like to grow fruit tree especially jujube. I have Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, and the one i dont know its name because i got it from my neighbor (he didn’t know anything about it neither)
But the fruits shape look like tiger tooth or GA 866.
May i ask anyone here know what kind of jujube is the best of taste like sweet, crunchy, and juicy. I dont like some kinds have skin stuck in my teeth. I read and just knew there are so many different kinds and I’m interested in R4T3 jujube. Could anyone here tell me how it tastes like? And If anyone here has R4T3 tree or scionwood to share I would love to buy. I live in zone 9.
Here is my email heocon_hcm at yahoo dot com. It’s easy to contact me through mail. Thanks in advance

3 Likes

The next best jujube that can replace Honey Jar in taste, size, crunchiness, sweetness, and juiciness is Sandia from Dr. Yao husband nursery according to one of Our member on GF. You can order on line from his website.

5 Likes

most jujubes multicrop. R4t3 bears well here in vegas, but fruit quality somewhat gets compromised on the first crop( like right here and right now in hot weather). As with other jujus, it is capable of multicropping and quality of subsequent fruits improves when ripened around autumn. I see you are at zone 10.

have some pictures here

1 Like

Could you please show me his website ? So i can order it. Thank you

chinesereddate.com
Dr Yao husband nursery

1 Like

I’m guessing persimmon wood would be the dark wood since it’s in the ebony family? But I felled a native persimmon that had just died that was nearly 2’ in diameter and there probably wasn’t more than 1/2" diameter of dark heartwood in the middle. Most of the wood was very light colored, which I’ve read is typical. I’m wondering how kaki wood compares. Is there substantial dark heartwood in kaki trees? And I’m curious about jujube wood, too. All I know is that it’s very hard (which persimmon is, too.)

2 Likes

American persimmon does have lighter wood, qhich is probably due to the latitudes it is native to, and youre right that it is in the ebony family. I would say the dark heartwood of the tree you felled can be called ebony. Quite valuable if you like woodworking. Also intriguing that persimmons and pawpaws are true temperate species yet also happen to be in the same families that are ultratropicals: ebony family and sugar apple family respectively. Anyway, asian and african simmons tend to have darker and harder wood probably due to the harsher conditions or higher light intensity where theyve evolved.

1 Like

This is my jujube which i don’t know its name. Does anyone here know what it is?
It is very sweet, juicy and very good for eating fresh.
Thanks

4 Likes

More picture

3 Likes

Hi Bob,

Did these new varieties fruit for you this year? If so, how do they taste as compared to the others you have? I’m particularly interested in Kongfucui which is supposed to be very productive and I hope they taste good even with a high crop load.

1 Like

I wouldn’t normally expect any results in the year the trees were planted. As it turned out this year though, several of the 1st year trees actually produced 2-3 fruit.

Maya- Good, but small. Crisp
Da Bai Ling- OK, but not as crisp. medium sized
Redland- Very large (small tree, huge fruit). OK, but not great texture and sugar
Russia #2- Very good- among the very best. But relatively small (close to Maya or maybe a tad bigger)

Alcalde #1: the first year tree didn’t produce, but the note ofrom n NMSU says that it is the same variety as “Qiyuexian”. And other sources say that is the same as Autumn Beauty. And I got some fruit from Autumn Beauty. It was good, but not great. Quite large (a bit smaller than Redland, but still pretty big). Not as crisp as Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, Black Sea, Russia #2, etc.

It isn’t really fair to compare first year trees with established ones. But, Russia #2 (especially, as the 2 year old Russia #2 was also great) and Maya are the ones I’m most optimistic about. Alcalde #1 and Redland are good due to their size, but I prefer crisp to big.

4 of 8 trees producing in planting year is a good result. Either:
1.) I’m getting better at ensuring early production (fertilize them a lot…)
2.) We had a better than average weather year for jujube
3.) The trees from CRD were good, with strong root systems

I suppose it could be all 3… :slight_smile:

Sorry- no fruit yet from KFC. Maybe next year.

5 Likes

There are several elongated jujube which it could conceivably match. Do you have any information about where the variety came from?

R3T4 from TVA planting in Tennessee:

Massandra in Ukraine:

Tsao- not sure of source:

3 Likes

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the detail info and being our trailblazer.

1 Like

I’m from zone 6b! Can I grow sandia jujube? Thanks

1 Like

Yes. Go for it.

You can grow it, but I’m not sure how long of a season you will need for it to ripen. It may not make it some years. We are 6B/7A and almost had a frost last week (34F low, per Weather.com). Normally, the first frost is around November 1st. But, none of the Sandia have ripened yet for me. They have a bit of a blush, so I don’t think it will be too long- maybe 1-2 weeks.

Dong is similarly late and looks to be getting pecked by birds.

Most other varieties have at least a few which have ripened or are showing spots of brown.

I’m growing healthy Chocolate persimmon on D. viginiana rootstock. It gets some afternoon shade. Chocolate is more heat tolerant than all the other persimmons I’ve tried to keep alive in Phoenix. The virginiana rootstock is better suited than lotus to bad desert soil. The only problem is finding another variety to pollinate the Chocolate that is also tough.

2 Likes

had to situate our fuyu persimmons at the north side of our property to spare the leaves from getting burnt by vegas’ dry heat, protecting from direct noon sun.

btw, quite intriguing that virginiana tolerates Phoenix’ weather

Yes D. virginiana root system is more fibrous and tolerates drought and soil salinity better than lotus and kaki

I’ve been trying to grow kaki (on D. virginiana) in Vegas.

I have an 8’ tall Fuyu (well, sold as Fuyu, but possibly Jiro) that is hanging on grimly to life. It leafs out every spring (and is budding right now) and looks great until the summer arrives, at which point the leaves all slowly burn to a crisp over a period of weeks, despite the fact that it is in a partially shaded location. It manages to store up just enough sugar to leaf out again next year, but never manages to put on much growth. I doubt that it will ever fruit, and eventually I think I will graft over it. Perhaps I will try Chocolate based on @snowjunky 's recommendation.

I also tried Giombo, Nikita’s Gift, and Saijo, all planted in the winter as whips. They all leafed out and started growing vigorously through the spring, but once summer rolled around, Giombo and Nikita’s Gift were executed by the sun, despite my best efforts (deep mulch, carefully timed watering to keep the soil moist but not wet, misting several times a day to reduce temperature). The leaves would wilt as the heat mounted during the day, and they would not recover until night. As the summer progressed, the recovery time took longer and longer until they finally remained wilted straight through to the next sunrise, at which point they fried. I am no botanist, but it looks like the trees’ roots just couldn’t pull enough water to the leaves to cover the transpiration, or maybe the stomas all closed due to the heat and the leaves could not cool themselves.

The exception was Saijo. Its leaves did not burn, but remained a deep, glossy green – unquestionably the most attractive of all of the kakis. It looked almost happy, although during the worst 110+ degree days, the leaves would sometimes begin to wilt after noon (but they always bounced back within minutes as soon as the sun went down). Saijo put on reasonable growth and now has three decent preliminary scaffold limbs. Its buds are swelling now.

Meanwhile, my jujubes thrived in the heat, and continued to grow rapidly even through the hottest part of the summer. My Honey Jar – in a full-sun location – went from around 5/8" caliber and 3’ tall (at the beginning of its second leaf) to a towering 12-foot, thick-trunked monster in a single season, and even produced about 20 fruit. (Another Honey Jar, planted at the same time in a 1/2 shaded location, grew almost as tall but is spindly with about a third of the caliper of the other, and did not fruit.) I also have a Chico in a good location, and it got up to about 4’ tall with a little over 1/2 inch caliper in its first season. My puppy then chewed it to the ground in the winter, severing it just above the graft (there remained maybe half an inch of Chico wood above the graft). Nevertheless, that remaining sliver of Chico wood sprouted and shot back up to about 9’ tall in a single season, with good caliper and branching. It’s now bigger than the smaller Honey Jar despite being a year younger and having had to start over from basically nothing last year.

It seems that jujubes truly adore heat and as much direct sun as possible. I have a lot of trees planted at my family’s home in Georgia, and the jujubes are the only species that are clearly more vigorous in Vegas instead of the other way around.

Saijo may not love the heat like jujubes do, but it certainly seems tolerant. Now that it has had a year to grow out a root system, I’m curious to see if it will do better. I just planted a second one in place of the slain Giombo, so hopefully time will tell.

3 Likes