My mulberry and other fruits collection

I think it’s this f**** I have eating my Mulberry rootballs, the field vole.

Or the common vole… Whatever lol

:sob:

1 Like

I’m sorry buddy! They are disgusting bastards! I also think castor beans and plants and crushed hot pepper will help deter them. What about cats to help control these things? Or introducing a snake or two into where they could be denning as revenge for your fallen trees

2 Likes

Trying to sort deterrent plants for voles (hyacinths, narcissus, Castor bean and Salvia) to plant around the mulberries.
So far could only get some Salvia officinalis

Hope it helps…
Do I plant it around the external limits of the planting holes or inside it next to the trunks??

1 Like

Probably the biggest thing you can do to deter voles is keep the vegetation short (like mowed lawn) anywhere near your trees. However, it looks like you’ve got a lot of space and that could be a non-starter. I’ve also seen a neat trick where you line the planting hole with a larger, open-bottomed plastic pot. You leave a couple inches of rim above the soil. The roots grow down, and the voles have trouble getting to the tree above and below ground.

1 Like

@jcguarneri that’s a veerry good idea…
Will do That on the next trees…
the ones already planted, can’t do that, will try the deterrent plants :confused:

1 Like

Good luck with the voles! I remembered where I saw that trick. It’s buried in this chip budding video at about the 5:30 - 5:45 mark.

4 Likes

That’s really really good idea!!
Gonna do that on new trees!!
The ones already planted can’t do that :confused:
Thanks @jcguarneri

1 Like

Also bought ton of seeds of Salvia and Allium to put around the trees to see if it really works as deterrent to the voles…

2 Likes

I hope those work but i suspect castor will be key.

2 Likes

Still trying to sort the Castor bean plants, tried like 10 garden centers and nothing, no plants and no seeds. Still gonna look for them but for now, tomorrow I’ll put these in some spots @lordkiwi

I just don’t put some poison as I am afraid to kill other wildlife that eats the baits or the dead voles or any other animals around

You have it in ebay…

1 Like

Castor beans? Also in OLX, I contacted the guy, he is in Porto but hasn’t reply me yet

1 Like

No, castor oil. You can buy it on ebay… seeds or plants too but i think it’s not permited to have them… they are invasive.

And poisonous… Lol

But the oil it’s not safe?

Jay, this is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I found another use for stubs of pipe from work.

Edit: this should also protect from any particularly vigorous and rowdy lawn mowing damage as well.

2 Likes

Vole traps work well. It’s a spring loaded five prong device that stabs them as they go thru their tunnels. You just pull up the trap and dispose of the vole. I use poison as well because is also takes out other unwanted guest like mice.

1 Like

Ricinus communis – Castor Oil Plant – Buy seeds at rarepalmseeds.com

1 Like

One more dead by voles Mulberry tree…

Here are their tunnels…

Daaaamn it

Adamant to protect the others, bought a few more seeds of plants supposingly deterrent of moles and voles
. Allium, muscari, Salvia and narcissus

2 Likes