My new mango plants in a grow room and greenhouse issues

I finished the mango 13 days after they were mailed so some were at least two weeks ripening after picking. Rough ratings compared to all the fruit I’ve eaten.
Cotton Candy 7
Cac 6
Pickering 5
Maha Chanok 5
Honey Kiss 4
Sweet Tart 4
Lemon Zest 3
They all tasted about the same except Sweet Tart which did have a tart component.
Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest were probably picked to early to ever ripen properly.
All in all an unmemorable $75 worth of fruit.
I still haven’t had a mango I’d consider a top or even 2nd tier fruit. And I’ve had fruit shipped in from FL three times.

Compared to grocery store bought Mangoes,were these a lot better,or no?

The best of these were better than most if not all grocery store mango I’ve eaten.

And I just finished the last Sweet Tart which I’d cut up but not eaten before writing the above. I’d give this last Sweet Tart a 7 maybe 8. It was actually pretty good. Some tartness, pretty sweet, nice mango flavor. I will look forward to more of those.

I was wanting to plant the seeds. Only Sweet Tart was clearly poly embryonic. Lemon Zest is supposed to be but there is some difference of opinion on that. It didn’t appear to be. Hopefully those come up and I’ll see if any give multiple plants.

1 Like

My one Lemon Zest was clearly poly, but even poly mangoes sometimes have mono seeds, so yours might be mono if it looks like it. I kept them in a warm dark place wrapped in a damp cloth or paper towel until they started to sprout, and then planted them. That way it was very easy to see which were poly (multiple taproots) vs mono. Of course even poly seeds usually have a zygotic embryo among the nucellar ones.

1 Like

My colleague brought these mangos from Florida - from a small family farm that is licensed to ship to CA. We ripened them for about a week.

The varieties (L2R) are Duncan, Orange Sherbet and Pickering

All of them ripened well and texture is good on all of these. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a brix meter so the values are based on my prediction

Duncan is very watery and mild sweetness. It also had a vegetative after taste close to the skin. Not better than a store-bought mango, probably worse.

Orange Sherbet is better, more sweet. I’d have guessed around 13-15 brix. It does have a background flavor but no fragrance.

Pickering is probably my pick out of these. It had the classic South Indian mango fragrance, with some sugar. My estimate of brix would be 15. Another colleague who is from HK said he can taste Lychees (I didn’t).

Both OS and Pickering also had watery undertone and higher brix would have opened up their flavors more. They are better than store bought but far from mangos from my summer trip in India. It’s possible these trees are young and over-watered.

3 Likes

I saw lots of complaining on TFF about heavy rain in FL right around ripening time for many mangos, so that could be part of it.

2 Likes