My "Romance series" cherries

I think this link will help say it all on age, bloom time, cherry yield etc

1 Like

Has anyone tried fermenting their romance cherries into wine or a carbonated drink? Mine should be bearing pretty good next year depending how they handle the transplant to the new place. I thought that this might be a good way to preserve or use the abundance of cherries, but not sure if it might be a bit too tart unless I cut it with something to help mellow it out.

I don’t know how acidic CJ is compared to raspberries or traditional tart cherries, for example, but in winemaking w/ fruit, or wild grapes, it is common to add a certain amount of fruit per gallon, well below the gallon-worth of liquid (typically 3-6 lbs of fruit but it varies on fruit type, how much is available, how strong you like the fruit taste in your finished wine, etc…).

One of the reasons people do this is to ameliorate the acid–just as you wouldn’t make a “better” lemonade by squeezing a full gallon worth of lemon juice and adding sugar to it, many wines are made with fruit plus a certain amount of water (and sugar to get an acceptable starting gravity). In fact, one of the worst cranberries I have ever had I am convinced was simply because they used too many cranberries…it was too tart and too tannic, like sucking limes out of a sock.

Edit: personally I like a fair bit of tart, barberas and sauvignon blancs are some of my favorite wines. from that I’d probably start at 6 lbs of CJ per gallon of water, and guessing like 2.5 lbs of sugar, as well as nutrient and tannin. I’d do some with 1-2 banannas per gallon and ferment to dry, then perhaps oak, to try to make a “big red,” and also do some with a lighter yeast, like cote des blancs, to make a sweeter, fruitier rendition. (I make a lot of wine as-is, I did 22 gallons of pear this fall)

3 Likes

It looks like the Wowza cherry fits the description of the “Cupid” variety of the Romance cherries - or something very closely related. Cupid is the only Romance variety noted to have an elongated pit as mentioned in the ad.
http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/crops/hort/bv2016/haskap-dwarfsourcherry-prodn-2016-reduced.pdf
Of the released Romance cherries, Cupid is noted for the largest fruit size (twice Carmine Jewel), latest bloom and ripening, high fruit/pit ratio, high color intensity, and medium brix (17 - similar to Romeo and Juliet).

3 Likes

Cupid is very dark, that does not fit description.
romance%20cherries

It looks a lot lighter than Carmine Jewel does. It may be a new one too. That cannot be ruled out. It does say Wowza has an elogated pit like Cupid, but cupid is darker looking, can be almost black. Maybe they got bad photos, so i won’t rule out cupid, although in my opinion those cherry photos of Wowza on the Gurney’s site are not cupid.
See photos at

1 Like

If wowza is anything like it appears to be in the pictures it’s a nice cherry! $79.99 is a high price!

"Wowza!™ Dwarf Cherry

Write the First Review

Huge, Vivid Red Fruits

Picking is easy, and the fruits are huge with our newest bush cherry tree. Naturally dwarfed, Wowza! produces plenty of tart, red cherries that cook up beautifully in pies and desserts—no dyes needed!

Huge cherries! Fruits grow up to twice the size of our popular Carmine Jewel cherries. They have an excellent flesh-to-pit ratio, so you’ll have plenty to enjoy. Each plant yields up to 20 lbs.

Manageable plants! Wowza! grows 5-8 ft. tall—so netting, pruning and harvesting can often be done while standing on the ground. Plus, it can be grown in patio containers.

Cold hardy! Developed at the University of Saskatchewan, Wowza! handles the cold and is a great choice for Northern growers. Grows in zones 2-7.

Years of Research! More than 50 years of research has gone into developing cherry trees with cold hardiness, dwarf stature and good fruit quality. Wowza! comes from the same breeding program that brought you Carmine Jewel, Romeo and Juliet.

Only offered to home gardeners! Wowza! has an elongated pit that is unsuitable for most mechanical harvesters. That means this outstanding cherry will only be available for home gardens and u-pick operations. Gurney’s is proud to be the first nursery to offer Wowza! to home gardeners. We have a limited supply available for spring 2019. Be sure to order yours today. Zones 2-7. PPAF.
62491A

"

62491A 62491A_2 62491A_1

3 Likes

Yeah that last photo says it all, Cupid is as dark as Carmine Jewel, that cherry is not. Possibly picked early though? Who knows? Yes price is steep I will wait.It does look like a very nice cherry, as is Cupid. Gurney’s mentions a good flesh to pit ratio. Cupid does not, it has a larger pit.

2 Likes

Yes, I have made a kind of cherry cider out of the Romance cherries. I bottled it just over a year ago and still have a few bottles left - just put one in the freezer to chill, so I’ll give it a try and see how it keeps after a year.

When my cherries ripen I make a concentrate by heating the cherries very slowly with just a tiny bit of water (to prevent burning at the start), then I bring them to boil and strain the mixture through cheese cloth. That concentrated juice I can in a hot water canner, usually in quart (liter) jars. When it was time to make the cider, I made up a 23 litre batch (equivalent to 6 US gallons I think). I used 8 litres of cherry juice concentrate – a mix of Carmine Jewel, Romeo and Juliet juice, then brought up to the 23 litre mark with tap water. So I’m using 1 part juice to 2 parts water. That gives a fantastic red color to the cider and a good flavor. In the end I do an in-bottle fermentation to carbonate the brew, similar to home beer-making. The cherry cider I made is about 6% alcohol by volume.

You do still definitely notice the acidity and since I am quite sensitive to acidity I kind of wish there was a way to get rid of it. Maybe I should try a batch with Juliet cherry juice only, since I find it the least acid of the 5 kinds of sour cherry I grow. But most people would have no problem with the level of acidity I think. I could dilute the juice more than my 1:2 ratio, but I feel the resulting loss of flavor would be more negative than dealing with a bit of acidity. (I did some experimenting before making the brew to come up with the best balance between flavor and acidity, that’s how I came up with the 1:2 ratio as being optimal.) I’d say the sourness level and strength of taste is very similar to what you find in a commercial hard apple cider, but I find those a bit acid for my taste also.

5 Likes

so WOWZA is TM, not patented… someone bite the bullet and buy one 4 the group. :money_mouth_face:

Don if acidity is an issue you can add precipitated chalk, banannas, or more water

My observation of Cupid is its precocity. I got a young potted plant which fruited the second summer, still only about two feet high. Romeo did this for me also, but the young Cupid produced larger and tastier cherries.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. Not more water though, as I did some testing and decided this is the cherry taste I’m looking for so wouldn’t want to dilute it. Probably not bananas either, as “pure homegrown cherry cider” has a certain appeal to me. I’ll have to look into the chalk idea, it’s not something I’ve used before in my home beer/cider/wine making. Maybe if I just use Juliet cherries that would work, as they are the easiest to eat out-of-hand.

You have to do what works for you, but I’m not sure that diluting the cherry with water is more damaging to the taste than artificially adding a base to it and creating whatever weird secondary salts you get by adding chalk or whatever else to your wine recipe…there Are tons of recipes online for fruit wines And very few of them called for Straight juice…I understand your enthusiasm but as the guy who made wine for over 10 years trust me, there’s a reason this rule of thumb came about… too much cherry would/will be just that: too much.

If you have that much cherry thats ok: make 2x or 3x the volume of an actual, drinkable wine… but making a shitty wine serves nobody. Its like the lemon example i listed before, you wouldnt actually make lemonade from straight lemonade plus sugar then blame consumers, would you???

Hey Mark, maybe we have a misunderstanding going on? Or maybe you are responding to someone else’s post and thinking it is from me?

My recipe for sour cherry cider mentioned above uses 1 part extracted cherry juice concentrate to 2 parts water. I determined this ratio based on taste-testing my cherry juice extract with various amounts of water. Pure extracted cherry juice is extremely intense, you would never want any beverage to be this intense, it’s drinkable by the shot-glass, but anything more is YIKES! But diluted with two parts water it is very tasty, further dilution makes it a bit weak IMO.

I’m not a newbie at home brewing, been doing it for over 40 years, beer, cider, wine… mostly from kits, but sometimes experimenting on my own. Have two batches of wine on the go right now, both from kits.

Do you guys taste an actual cherry flavor? My bushes are young and I had a few last year. The first couple were just watery with no flavor so I waited till the fruit was almost over ripe for the last couple. They had a watery fruit punch flavor. I’ll get more this year, but I wasn’t that impressed with the cherrieness of the flavor.

Yes, very much so. Tart, strong, flavorful.

1 Like

How did it end up tasting after a year? I’m ok with some tartness I’ve liked the level in hard ciders I’ve tried. Hopefully i get enough this year to try your recipe of diluting 1:2 in water and maybe another batch mixed with another type of fruit or some precipitated chalk. I’ve only made one cider which came out pretty good flavor and acid wise.

I was responding to Cody, and I may have misunderstood him as well but I was under the impression that he wanted to make a straight wine And I wanted to point out that more is not always better

Haha, okay, things certainly do get jumbled up on here, at least the way they come into my feed!

“Do you guys taste an actual cherry flavor?”

Off the bush I’d have to say I don’t. They are fruity and pleasant, but it’s kind of a random fruity taste to me, not something I would describe as cherry flavor.

Cooking the fruit is what brings out the cherry taste. Whether the fruit are pitted and cooked in a pie, or just heated slowly to boiling and the juice extracted through cheesecloth or a jelly bag, that really brings out an intense cherry flavor and aroma. Once the juice is extracted I use it to either drink straight in small shots (it’s very intense in flavor), make into jelly, or dilute with water or soda to drink, or to dilute and brew into cider, in all cases the distinct cherry flavor remains.

2 Likes