My "Romance series" cherries

Yea, I decided to take a break form my true crime podcast and found this : https://orchardpeople.com/episode-7-no-room-for-a-cherry-tree-try-a-cherry-shrub/

5 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I’ve listened to that before. Maybe it was last year. I still listened to again. Thanks for the link. I thought I saw video too with dr Bors sitting at his desk. Maybe it’s real similar to what I saw.

1 Like

If you happen to find that video please feel free to link it here as well

1 Like

Has anyone tried Romance cherries on black cherry or manchurian apricot?

Nothing works on Prunus Serotina - wild black cherry .

1 Like

Can you put a ‘wild’ weeping ornamental cherry on any orchard cherries, btw? The seedlings here from my neighbor’s tree get too big.

I’m not sure. Most weeping cherries are considered to be Prunus x subhirtella, a hybrid between two Japanese species and are grown for their flowers, not fruit. I did a little googling and found that they can graft onto Prunus mahaleb. So if a graft onto Prunus avium doesn’t work, the mahaleb might work as an interstem.

1 Like

That would be so fun to try. I don’t have any right now, but I’ll try it sometime.

The neighbor’s cherry is older than 80 years old, btw. Huge and fertile. I now have weeping cherries in my woods :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like you got a good set of fruit on your CP. How did they taste?

It was last year in this thread. I must have just pictured the video part in my head as listening to it.

ClothAnnie

Thanks, @mamuang. Some sort of disease was definitely an issue for me last year and my best guess was cherry leaf spot, so I may use the Immunox again. I’m sorry to need clarification; when referencing times according to bloom, is that just flower bloom? I’m not sure I had many flowers last year. I did have a few and even had a fruit start then die, but I wondered if you meant leafing out or if bloom strictly means flowers.

I had to look up canker. Don’t think I’ve seen it (yet!) but did come across a neat podcast interview with Dr. Bob Bors, who worked on the romance series bushes. It talks about their history, name, and a bit of pruning advice. I do wonder if I’m just a bit too south/ humid here in northern va. We get cold out here and I’m probably 6b-ish but maybe the humidity fostered the fungal disease last year. Not sure.

Thanks again, everyone.

Here’s a link to the podcast if anyone’s interested https://orchardpeople.com/episode-7-no-room-for-a-cherry-tree-try-a-cherry-shrub/

Thanks Jerry. What about Romance on Nanking? Montmorency?

@Johnnysapples
You might look at this thread Sour Cherry Leaf Spot and see if it was leaf spot.

Should work fine on Montmorency . Nanking is really a plum as I recall .

1 Like

Yes , nanking is a plum, I tried grafting a few sticks of Juliet to one just as a test , it did not take

1 Like

I was just showing the link to where the podcast was that I had heard a year ago. I do know what leaf spot is.

1 Like

I put Juliet on Montmorency last spring. She grew well and is alive and happy this year, too.

I’m hoping she’ll grow more tree-like like Drew mentioned happens on rootstock. I want one main scaffold to be Juliet. I’ll keep everyone posted on how that progresses.

2 Likes

would like to try this on mine once my bushes get a little bigger. what type graft did you use?

That would’ve been a z-graft. It was on the tip of the branch so it could be high enough for dominance of that scaffold. The scaffolds are still pretty skinny on my young Montmorency.

Chip budding at the end of the summer also worked, with Juliet on Carmine Jewel in that case. Our falls are much longer than yours, though.

1 Like

Thanks everybody-I have several older Montmorency that are shy bearers here. They are loaded in Madison, WI 20 miles away. There is one volunteer here that bears fine-go figure. Meteor and Northstar also bear poorly. I’ll topwork them over to Romance. Still looking for scionwood.