My "Romance series" cherries

Thanks everybody for a great cherry thread. Is anyone willing to send me scionwood for any or all of the Romance cherries? I put in Mahaleb rootstocks last year and am ready to graft this spring. I am near Madison Wi.

Ive got CJ and juliet, also CP but its crap, not sure what would happen if its grafted tho, might be an interesting experiment. How much do you need?

I have 10 rootstocks and another 10 poorly performing Montmorency,Northstar, etc to overgraft. I might try a few on wild black,nanking and Manchurian apricot which are vigorous here. 10 fat sticks of each would be plenty; Iā€™d like to get the others too as microclimate differences are a big deal. Neglected Montmorency types do great in Madison just 20 miles away. They just put out a few fruit here.

scions coming from the romance series will not be fat sticks. These are twiggy bushes.

1 Like

Something to note, this hybrid is dwarf on itā€™s own roots or grafted unto another bush cherry. But if grafted unto anything else it will no longer be dwarf. It will grow like any other cherry.

1 Like

Have you tested this?

Perhaps a rootstock with increased vigor could get some useful fruit out of Crimson Passion.

ā€¦and of course I canā€™t help but wonder what a still larger and more vigorous Carmine Jewel or Juliet would be like.

4 Likes

No, but Vincent got some on rootstock and the tree shot up like crazy. Ironic but it is in this super long thread.

3 Likes

I put Juliet on Montmorency last year. And then I have fall-budded buds sprouting right now of it on Carmine Jewel.

Everything took well and grew nicely so far.

1 Like

Do any of the bush cherries work in southern areas? Iā€™m 7a/b, but since Iā€™m in Richmond, VA I have some pretty terrible mildew problems.

I am in NoVA (Fairfax County), 7a.

I have had mixed results so far with these cherries. I originally planted 2x Crimson Passion and 4x Carmine Jewel. 2019 will be their 4th year in the ground.

The Crimson Passion cherries never thrived and suffered from what I am pretty sure was fungal canker. One died and one I removed. I havenā€™t found anyone that recommends Crimson Passion.

The Carmine Jewel cherries appeared to be doing well up until last year when I lost two to canker. (one lives on as a sucker nearby) As you know last year was a ridiculous record-setting year for rain in the DC area. I also wasnā€™t available last spring to do any preventative spraying. My hope is that going forward the cherries wonā€™t have to suffer another year like 2018ā€¦

The cherries Carmine Jewel produces are good and very much enjoyed by my kids. They are quiet small however and last Fall I planted a Juliet.

If they continue to suffer disease problems I wonā€™t replace them again.

That is pretty amusing. Given how productive they are even in bush form can you imagine what a giant tree would produce?

2 Likes

Hey Grog, Iā€™m in S. Indiana at the Kentucky border Z6, hot and humid Ohio River Valley. I have 2 Carmine Jewels, 2 Juliet and 1 Northstar, and the Romance Cherries do great. The Carmine Jewels were 3rd year and cropped relatively heavy for a 3 ft bushes, the Juliets were 2nd year last Spring, gave a moderate crop and also jumped up to 7 feet tall and 2 feet wide. So far no disease issues at all. Greg

4 Likes

As a reference point, can someone tell me how the Romance Cherries bloom time compares to common cherry tree verieties? For example Juliet blooms x days after Montmorency?

2 Likes

I just listen to an interview with Dr. Bob Bors who helped develop the Romance Series at the University of Saskatchewan . Saskatchewan has to be one of the most difficult environments to grow cherries with -50f winters. No wonder the romance series is so tough. Itā€™s super interesting how they were developed. They are crosses Mongolian x tart cherry hybrids developed over the last 75 years. If that wasnā€™t enough to want to make me grow Romance Cherries, his wife, Loretta talked about her 275 page Cooking with Cherriesā€¦From the Prairies cookbook. I got super hungry when she talked about the Cherry BBQ ribs and Cherry vinaigrette. It sounds like Cupid may be the best of the series but, itā€™s not been released in the US yet.

6 Likes

Do you have a link to the interview?

Yea, I decided to take a break form my true crime podcast and found this : https://orchardpeople.com/episode-7-no-room-for-a-cherry-tree-try-a-cherry-shrub/

5 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Iā€™ve listened to that before. Maybe it was last year. I still listened to again. Thanks for the link. I thought I saw video too with dr Bors sitting at his desk. Maybe itā€™s real similar to what I saw.

1 Like

If you happen to find that video please feel free to link it here as well

1 Like

Has anyone tried Romance cherries on black cherry or manchurian apricot?