My "Romance series" cherries

what size and cost?

I am also ashamed to admit it… $69.99. It isn’t a tiny plant though, picture below.

I could have gotten a better deal from somewhere like honeyberry, but like I said, it was an impulse buy.

3 Likes

yeah, nurseries really get you. my wife wanted me to get a black currant from a local privately owned nursery a couple years ago but it was $30 for a 1 gallon Bush, older variety also. i said no way Jose… but her name is not Jose!

3 Likes

Just got juliet and romeo few weeks ago, how many more years do you think they will start to produce fruits?

Here’s Romeo

1 Like

You might get a handful from each next year. These cherries are very precocious and bear heavily within a few years.

1 Like

from what I’ve read the warmer growing zones they are grown in the sooner they fruit

1 Like

Don your bushes must be getting pretty big now.

I ordered two Romeos and planted them last fall. I live in 7B, central Georgia, and each of them has some fruit this year. I’m very excited because most cherries are complete failures in my area.

3 Likes

even the sweet ones?

my 2 year old juiliet put out 4 blooms so far. i thought it would take a few more years before that fruited. I’m hopeful to taste them but not counting on any setting fruit this young. my xxl romeo i just put in 3 weeks ago is loaded with flowers but I’m thinking none will set as its just putting down roots. still hopeful. up till’ now no cherries could survive here without serious damage, even with our deep snows protecting them.

2 Likes

Check out the price they have on Wowza, Romeo and Juliet now with out of stock on the picture.

1 Like

thats just nuts! for that price they better produce 100 gal. of fruit even in the winter! :wink:

1 Like

I’m glad I already have them. They must be selling good now that they can ask for that price.

me too but i got all mine from honeyberryusa. $15 ea. is a hell of a lot better than $100! wow! those are cherries not gold nuggets. gurneys has never got my business because of this. i would never support a nursery that inflates their plants cost so extremely high as they do! it should be as illegal as merging big corporations to control the market!

They must be trying to recoup money spent on sertifying some of the bushes, and money donated to the University for further development of these. I feel bad for the ones who are waiting for the prices to come down. Henry Fields wants up to $100 on them too. You can still get them at Honeyberry for $25 or $38 for a large bush.

1 Like

they aren’t usually as big as gurneys but for the price ill be a little patient. I’ve got a juliet i planted 2 yrs. ago with some flowers already and i bought a romeo xxl from them 3 weeks ago. is a 5ft. pruned back to a little over 4’. its so covered in blooms right now that the top of bush is pure white. paid $58 w/ shipping included. i don’t mind paying that for a producing cherry.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if you’ve changed your current technique for winter protection on Newberry, Tayberry, Wyeberry, etc. My wife is from coastal OR/WA and loves those type of berries. I’m bummed it looks like you haven’t had success with Loganberries, since I liked those when I lived in warmer-winter areas. You seem like an expert on growing those in more continental regions! I’m having a super hard time finding sources for Newberry and Wyeberry, and even Tayberry seems to becoming less common in the catalogs. I hope they aren’t going out of style. If you end up with any suckers or rooted tips, I’d love to trade next year.

Now I just cover as much of the plant as I can with leaves. I usually get most of the canes to survive. But production is not great, but I still grow them.
Newberry was protected in a container. I tip rooted one and planted it out and it survived it’s first winter.The container plant is kept with figs in the garage.
Yes Newberry and wyeberry have left the market. I can say that boysenberry and wyeberry are very close. I think wyeberry is bigger, and fruits a week or two earlier, but taste is about identical. I pulled boysen and kept wyeberry. But Boysen is a fine alternative. Why Newberry disappeared? I’m not sure? It’s a fantastic top shelf berry. The plant also produce a lot too. Logan would probably work, if I had it in a different spot.
I added Columbia Giant for bulk blackberries, they are huge quite tart but the flavor when processed is outstanding according to test tastes. So I’m going to try it. And I want to add Ponca when it is available, probably next season. This appears to be the best of the Arkansas cultivars.

Yes I can trade, or sell you for a reasonable price. We need to spread these ourselves. I will try and tip root you a plant of Wye and New. it should be ready in the fall. I can hold till next spring too. As it will need more protection than if a bigger plant. What I do is let them go dormant and lose all leaves then keep them in my garage, which never becomes colder than 25F. I usually leave it attached till close to dormancy. I cut it at 8 to 12 inches tall.

Perfect! I’m not sure how to contact you directly, being quite a dolt with forum websites myself. I’m on the North American Scion exchange Facebook group if that helps. I’ll add the things I’m growing to my profile so you can see if anything is of interest for you. BB-wise I do have a “Cascade” which is amazing tasting but not very productive by modern standards. I also could send some wild western berries if you like (mine have now survived 5x dry zone 6a-b winters outdoors in pots with only a plastic sheet covering them). I’ll be making a few fig air layers this summer if you want to add more of those. I am quite excited about the feijoa. Those will be a couple years old next spring and I quite like those fruits myself. I’d recommend the garage over winter, but some of these even survived under my deck through weeks of ~0F this winter! But do check my growing list for most of the things I could send.