My "Romance series" cherries

I have a Valentine, Cupid, and Crimson Passion to put on the ground this year. I’m trying to sort out which one should get the prime spot. Is there a table for which of the romance bushes grow the faster and larger? Is there a ranking for suckering habit?

1 Like

Honeyberry USA has them. you buy those locally.? if you did, id swap the c.p for something else. it likely wont make it and if it does it will be slow growing and barely fruit. even the breeders and vendors selling them admit this ones a dud. think out of the romance series honeyberry rates valentine the most productive and vigorous.

I’ll add the CP to my upcoming bare rooting experiments this coming winter season… If it comes back i’ll grow it as a potted plant and eventually sell it.

I think Valentine is the taller and the least dark of them so I’ll probably give it the prime spot.

Do you have any idea how true to type they can be from seed? Being self fertile ought to confer a modicum of genetic stability but I guess it depends on the plant. Heck even within a species some are more true to type than others; of the Saskatoons Northline are known for being the most true to type from seed.

1 Like

Ok, great to consider. Thank you! I actually do have Captan. I think it’s a powder, right? Need to look up that ratio to mix with water. Is it evident at all which variety of Romance I have here?

1 Like

I actually do have a copper treatment in my garage, too, but started with the Immunox. I’m not sure if I’m understanding correctly that maybe copper would have been best used as the first spray…

2 Likes

Don’t you mean 1 T for the gallon, plus 1 t. for the 1/3 gallon?

“ The listed ratio for cherry leaf spot I think was .5oz:1gal. I know that since 2 Tablespoons=1fl oz, that would be 1Tablespoon:1gal. Since 3tsp=1Tablespoon, I used 1 tsp Immunox to 1+1/3gal (42ish oz). Hopefully that was right.”

3 Likes

I did just come across a chart showing the vigor and suckering habits of a bunch of Saskatchewan cherries while I was trying to figure out what killed my Romeo. The origin of the chart is uncertain, but here’s a screen shot of what Ron Lewis posted in a Houzz thread several years ago:

1 Like

@steveb4

No I don’t like multipurpose sprays unless I mix them myself.

2 Likes

@steveb4

Yes copper pre-bloom is really good. Post boom I use more conventional fungicides if I use any at all.

3 Likes

Whoops! I knew I would benefit from double checking lol! I actually used only 1/3 gal water, not 1+1/3. Those 42ish oz were just about right for my size tree.

1 Like

@northwoodswis4 @ClothAnnie

That’s closer to what I remembered on the fungicide measurements but I wasn’t sure It had been awhile.

1 Like

i read somewhere they are true to type for the same reasons you mentioned.

Have you had any luck growing them from seed?

1 Like

The guy down the road from you who has them all said CP is the best tasting.

think thats the only reason the nurseries are still selling them. i wouldnt grow a whole bush but id consider grafting a few scions of it.

i had several seedlings of cj come up from seeds i put under the mulch. when i dug them they werent connected to the mother tree so i know theyre seedlings. i only buried a few of them. the rest i just tossed on the mulch so those didnt take obviously. most of the ones i did though did grow.

I’m in northern VA-6b/7a; the two treatments of Immunox a while back seemed to have really helped with the CBerry leaf spot. We finally got some fruits to eat. The birds were usually beating us to them but we got to taste a few. They are super sour, though! I’ve only ever tasted Montmorency in comparison and definitely think I prefer that. Maybe I can hunt down a Montmorency. I wonder if it’s evident which type I have that survived my deer pressure/lack of fungicide treatments. I think it could be either Carmine Jewel, Crimson Passion, Romeo, or Juliet.

4 Likes

Are they ripe? After they turn red it takes another month or so before they are ready.

2 Likes

Hmmmm… I thought they were ripe. They were coming right off the stems and were soft and quite juicy, and the birds were gobbling them up but maybe birds are less patient than I am.

2 Likes

So far in Zone 7b Georgia Romeo has been a better cherry than Carmine Jewel. Carmine Jewel has grown more vigorously but Romeo has fruited more, though neither has fruited heavily. Romeo has slightly sweeter fruit, sweet enough to eat some without processing, and has fruited more, though neither has fruited much. The birds are an issue as @ClothAnnie stated, and they will eat them a few days before they are ripe enough for me. Immunox also did a good job on the Cherry leaf spot disease for me.

2 Likes