My small fruit tree orchard

The yellow pitaya (S. megalanthus, that is) are the best in my opinion. I’ve had more chances to try some other types from growers in CA recently, and none of the magenta-fleshed ones had the same floral/fruity/super-sweet flavor of megalanthus. I hope mine can eventually fruit in my greenhouse, but it gets too cold for them in the winter so they get weak and eaten by slugs.

3 Likes

I think S8 is great too and Connie Mayer can have coconut flavor…

2 Likes

Which one is your best tasting? Do they have a distinct difference to the withe flesh supermarket ones?
I was considering to plant them but the withe supermarket fruits made me hesitate

1 Like

Pitayas… in your place just inside i think…
But the yellow skin ones are the best…

1 Like

“Palora” is my favorite variety of yellow pitaya, but I think most of that species taste similar. There are also yellow skinned varieties of other species, so make sure it’s the right one. They should look like this:

They should NOT look like this, this is the wrong kind of yellow pitaya:

3 Likes

Yes Palora or other yellow skin pitaya variety…

1 Like

Thanks if I give it a try I will look for megalanthus.
I don’t know if I will find a source for Palora.

1 Like

yes there are… i can tell you… :grin:

1 Like

That would be very nice :grinning:

1 Like

▷ Comprar Árboles de Pitaya grandes | Tropicales Málaga (tropicalesmalaga.com)

1 Like

I can‘t find Palora on the site. but they have many pitayas and other nice fruits

Palora is the same of yellow colombia

▷ Comprar Planta Pitaya | Pitaya Amarilla | Tropicales Málaga (tropicalesmalaga.com)

1 Like

I’ve grown mine from seeds of Palora, as shown in this thread, so it may be many years before they flower, if ever. I’m hoping they will eventually fill the rafters of my greenhouse.

2 Likes

better to get a pitaya cutting… most of mine came from US… :blush:

Thanks, I somehow imagine it, but I don’t understand why the less tasting one offered in the supermarket, why not the yellow good tasting one

I have some that are cutting-grown also but they are growing very slowly and seem like they might not survive the winter. I think they need more warmth than my winter greenhouse can give them. I’m hoping they’ll grow more this summer, they have been there less than a year now.

Out of the seedlings I grew, only one of them seems able to handle the cold a little better, and it’s grown about 4x more than the others. I’m hoping that one will be the one to fill the rafters.

2 Likes

:yum:

7 Likes

You forgot to label your last photos. What is pictured? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry. It’s fausterime finger lime, mysore raspberry and Australian bush cherries. On top picture it’s tamarillos.

2 Likes

A variegated persimmon… it’s not mine, it’s from a friend… :star_struck:

10 Likes