My small fruit tree orchard

Strange bug

7 Likes

Capnodis tenebrionis (Linnaeus, 1761) - (peach flatheaded rootborer) The beetle is a serious pest of fruit trees (mainly plum, apricot and almond) in the Mediterranean and neighbouring regions.

4 Likes

I never saw it here… i should get rid of it?

I think so! Here’s more info:

Capnodis tenebrionis (L.) (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), commonly known as the Mediterranean flat-headed root-borer, affects many species of Rosaceae, particularly apricot, peach, plum, nectarine, cherry, and almond (Malagon et al., 1990; Ben-Yehuda et al., 2000; Marannino and de Lillo, 2007; Morton and García del Pino, 2008). The beetle is common in Central and Southern Europe, Northern Africa and the Middle East (Garrido et al., 1987; Tezcan, 1995; Martin et al., 1998; Cınar et al., 2004; Marannino and de Lillo, 2007; Sharon et al., 2010). Capnodis tenebrionis can be a key pest in some areas and cultivation conditions, particularly in organic orchards and/or in arid and semiarid environments, where plants are susceptible to the destructive action of larvae on roots and control strategies have to be applied (Bonsignore and Bellamy, 2007; del Mar Martinez de Altube et al., 2008). Recent outbreaks in areas like Emilia Romagna and Southern France, previously less affected by this pest, may be a consequence of global warming, especially for trees growing on clayey and poorly irrigated soils, and may be related to the beetle preference for the high temperature (Bonsignore and Vacante, 2009).

Adult beetles feed on the bark of shoots, buds, and leaf petioles, and usually prefer weakened and diseased trees rather than vigorous ones (Rivnay, 1946; Garrido, 1984; Bonsignore and Bellamy, 2007). These adults can seriously damage young trees in nurseries, orchards and greenhouses, but rarely affect established, well-cultivated and irrigated fruit-bearing orchards (García del Pino and Morton, 2005). Females lay eggs in the cracks of dry soil or under stones, close to trees and rarely on the bark (Ben-Yehuda et al., 2000). Neonate larvae crawl within the soil, penetrate the roots and feed on the root cortical and subcortical tissues (Mendel et al., 2003). Damage caused by larvae becomes obvious as the tree dries out or begins to secrete resin (Marannino et al., 2004; del Mar Martinez de Altube et al., 2008). One-year-old trees can be killed by a single larva; a few larvae can lead to the death of a mature tree within 1 or 2 years (Ben-Yehuda et al., 2000; Ga

Source:

2 Likes

That’s an ugly bug, at first I thought it was a fruit bud.

1 Like

Ok i just get rid of him… i just saw this one.

1 Like

Hopefully wasn’t a female who laid eggs! If you notice any trees suddenly dying, it could be the larvae in the roots.

1 Like

Some times it happen but i think it’s rats or other like that… i never saw this bug untill now.

2 Likes

Winter red flesh flowers

7 Likes

3 Likes

A gift from a very generous friend! :grin:

7 Likes

Your zone is ahead of here…but my first blossoms of Redfield got blackened by 19 over the past 3 nights.

Still, overall, surprised the damage is not greater.

2 Likes

Envy apple

6 Likes

Elaeagnus Latifolia (Soh-Sang)

I liked it. It’s like an adstringent plum but with some sweetness. Very meaty… :yum:

7 Likes

New Kadsura plant from Thailand

5 Likes

Moz persimmon new tree

5 Likes

Just got one Geo Pride pluot tree and one Akebia quinanta Variegata… :star_struck:

2 Likes

Pluot: (7) Dapple Dandy, Flavor Supreme, Flavor Heart, Flavor Queen, Flavor King?, Flavor Gem, Geo Pride…

Plumcot: (2) Melitopolski, Pirate…
Peacotum Bella Gold
Cherrycot Aprikyra
Pluerry Sweet Treat
Nectacot Honey Pearls
Nectacotum Dapple Fire

Pluot scions: (15) Flavor Grenade, Flavor King, Splash, Flavorich, Emerald Drop, Dapple Supreme, Flavor Finale, Marcia’s Flavor, Fall Fiesta, Dapple Jack, Early Dapple, Purple Candy, Pink Candy, Flavor Royale, Flavorosa…
Pluerry scion: (3) Candy Heart, Sugar Twist, Flavor Punch
Plumcot scion: (2) Nadia, Burbank, Flavorella, Tlor-Tsiran
Nectaplum scion: Spice Zee
Aprium scion: (5) Cot-N-Candy, Aprisali, Black Prince, Shaa-Kar-Pareeh, Summer delight, Flavor delight
Cherrycot scion: Cherrykose
Cherryplum scion: Verry, Sprite, Golden Delight, Mesh Mesh Amirah
Nectarpeachcot scion: Bill’s nectarpeachcot
Peachplum scion: Tri-lite

5 Likes

Lubenicarka red fleshed pear

7 Likes

White Himalayan mulberry

Red Himalayan mulberry

Red stripped nashi

11 Likes