My small fruit tree orchard

My Fiesta apple tree is pushing the first flower buttons… first apple tree doing it. :blush:

Black plum flowers

7 Likes

My big Dajiao banana tree is awakening from winter…

8 Likes

Nice! What was your coldest temperature this winter? And have you ever gotten fruit from it? I haven’t heard of this hybrid before, from a quick googling it looks like it’s a cross between M. sikkimensis and M. balbisiana, rather than either of those crossed with M. acuminata, so it should be fairly cold hardy but probably the fruit is only good for cooking rather than fresh eating?

3 Likes

Hi! Dajiao is a new chinese variety. It’s a desert variety and it’s a big fruit!
We got heavy frosts every day by 3 weeks. Maby we got -2,5C on lowest temp.
I didn’t got any fruit from this or other variety but i expect to get it this year. She grows very very fast and is the hardiest variety i have…
I have dajiao, dwarf orinoco, dwarf namwah, dwarf brazilian, raja puri, pisang ceylon and goldfinger.

2 Likes

I wonder if there is more than one Dajiao, or if maybe some of the info online is wrong, because I usually think of only M. acuminata and its hybrids as being true dessert types. It would be great news if this is a dessert type and at all hardy. Are your bananas all seedless varieties?

1 Like

Yes i only have dessert varieties for now… maby i will have some garden ones in future.

Regarding Musa Dajiao:

"It is an ABB type from China, but I do not know the subgroup or what its really related to other than other Da Jiao types (there are multiples). It is a good banana, similar in taste and texture to common ‘Namwah’. ABB types, partly because of their high M. balbisiana parentage, tend to be very vigorous and quick growing. They are not M. sikkimensis/M. balbisiana hybrids.

This photo from China shows 2 types. You may have to view it full size in the gallery to read the names."

DSC_0020

Musa Dajiao - Bananas.org

This is from the nursery where i buy it:

musa dajiao (lamaisondubananier.com)

3 Likes

Some fruit tree flowers

Kioto apricot

Sunflower pawpaw

Blood peach

Big Top nectarine

10 Likes

Today i harvest one big asparagus and some tamarillos…

7 Likes

4 Likes

:yum:

Pastry with feijoa jam and spelt bread with goji and seeds…

7 Likes

Some apple varieties starting to wake up… :heart_eyes:

Fiesta apple tree

Kidd’s Orange Red apple tree

Surprize apple tree

Regarding the Surprize apple variety:

"Surprize is an excellent apple, having none of the drawbacks of some of the other redfleshed releases which seem, with hindsight, to have been slightly premature. It’s on a level with Rosette, but its properties are different.

Rosette has probably the best red-fleshed apple flavour I’ve encountered. Its main drawback is that it’s so short-lived; being very like Discovery, it ripens very early and the season is soon over.

Surprize ripens slightly later and keeps rather better; perhaps for a week or two. The fruit is juicy and attractive in colour, being solid red inside. The texture is firm and not too coarse; the flavour is an excellent balance of sweetness and acidity, and there is no trace of the tartness or bitterness typical of many redfleshed releases. Weirouge, Roter Mond, the Redloves, Baya Marisa and others often seem to be to be in the second division for flavour; Surprize is some way above them; probably in Division 1.

The apple is not of the ‘Hansen’ type; the pips are brown, not red, and the skin is yellow-orange, with conspicuous lenticels (speckles)."

Red Fleshed Apples - Surprize, DIVERSITY website (suttonelms.org.uk)

4 Likes

I just got 3 new pawpaw varieties! I’m very happy to get this great varieties… :blush:

Jerry’s Big Girl
Al Horns
Mango

5 Likes

@Luisport I am very envious of your Jerry’s Big Girl! I too plan to add mango and Al Horn’s to my yard this year. May I ask where you found them? I haven’t been able to locate JBG other than England’s and he was out of scion wood by the time I placed my order.

1 Like

You are from Europe?
I got this nursery and they are not much expensive…

Asimina fruit | indijanska banana - prodaja sadik in plodov asimine

1 Like

I am in the US… I’m surprised that a source is available for those cultivars across the pond! They are hard to find even over here. You are very lucky!

4 Likes

Thank you my friend. This trees are a bit small and i will have to wait some years to get fruits from them… but i already have fruits from my sunflower tree and i just love them! :yum:

1 Like

That’s great! I am waiting for fruit on the trees I already have. That site has a fantastic selection! Sue, Kentucky Champion, and PA Golden #3 are pretty hard to find here too!

1 Like

I have pawpaw Sunflower, Prima 1216, Wabash, Susquehanna, Shenandoah, Potomac, KSU Atwood, Sibley, Convis, Mango, Jerry’s Big Girl and Al Horns.

2 Likes

So I don’t bake anymore really (glutarded) but here is a special birthday dinner we made for my sister in law. Garlic lemon chive buttered crab, Tropicana salad, gratin potatoes and roasted pears

6 Likes

Hello Richard! Very nice dinner! Happy birthday to your sister and happy event to all! :+1: :blush:

2 Likes