My Tiny Suburban Fruitway

Also, the larger one weighs 180g and the smaller about 102g. Most on the tree are similar size to the larger than the smaller pictured.

1 Like

Good photos. I don’t think your tree is Comice. I just reread Joan Morgan’s description in her The Book of Pears and looked at the photos on the companion website. The photos show a nice red blush and her description notes, “characteristic russet rings” at the calyx end. But the stem is entirely different from your pear. That is one of the really good ways to tell differences in varieties.
I’m still thinking.

1 Like

Thank you David!

I am going to harvest soon, they seem ready. So I’ll get a photo of more of them in case there are some eccentricities in that sample size of 2.

1 Like

It’s interesting that the neck shape to me varies a bit. You can see two here a bit elongated, the other three don’t have much of a neck at all. All have russetting on the calyx end.

2 Likes

Curious how old is that peach tree and how many fruits do you let the tree to mature.

1 Like

Welp… we moved out of that house so I was only there for the harvest of the May Pride part of the tree. We probably left too many on there. I’d hazard a guess that 2/3 of the tree had about 50 peaches— so I thinned much too little. They were not very tasty, and I left them as I recall too long past prime ripe so they were a little mealy.

Some updates:

Key question: any guesses what would’ve taken little pits out of the tiny immature green plums? Was not an isolated one or two, it was on a lot of them.

Burbank plum has these pits:

Found scale on my pear, it’s partially under a neighbor’s oak so I think they may have come from that. Google says they look like Lecanium Scale. I just rubbed them off with a gloved hand.

Apricot needs lots of thinning:

Hawk found a bunny… My better half is sad about it

1 Like

Some things also affecting the young apricots. Some with holes chewed through, one of them I caught a caterpillar in. Others with some type of rot, maybe fungal or bacterial…?

Not sure what the caterpillar is, but the rotting fruits seem to have Brown Rot. I suggest you spray with Bonide’s Fruit Tree & Plant Guard, ASAP. It has both fungicide and insecticide. Remove all infected fruits and twigs first, and put in the trash.

Have you had rain lately, while fruits are on the tree or during bloom? I usually see the dying twigs when rain hits during bloom.

Yes, it’s been rainy even for the rainy season up until a couple weeks ago. There were a few bouts of rain after the fruit first formed. I hadn’t noticed the fruit doing this last year but did have the dieback on the twigs.

Tricky part is the guidance here is to not prune apricot in winter when we get rain but in July or so when it’s completely dry–to avoid Eutypa. I’ll continue pulling of any fruit I see with that on it along with the normal thinning of fruit and trim later in dry summer. I’ll look into the Bonide spray but I try to avoid most sprays (which I know is more doable here than CT). Thanks!