My very strange pears

@clarkinks, I am thinking of take up your advice to do weed control myself. Where do I start? What herbicide should I use.

It turned out their July and August service are just spot treatment of weed killer because it’s too hot. And July treatment did nothing to control weeds, it is growing out of control. And I suppose to pay $120 each time.

I am pretty fed up with the lawn service company.

1 Like

It’s not that hard to do your own weed control. Although I don’t do any weed control on my lawn, I do plenty at the orchard.

If you want a green lawn, start with a pre-emergent. You’ll need a pre-emergent for broad leaf weeds and crab grass.

Then you’ll probably need another contact herbicide for weeds which make it past the pre-emergent.

Here’s some guidance to avoid damaging your trees, as well as explaining common herbicides used for turf/landscapes.

Generally speaking the label will tell you what precautions are needed. Also generally the label recommends a higher level of caution than would actually be needed to protect trees and plants.

Just know that some plants are more tolerant of most herbicides than others. For example strawberries can actually be sprayed with 2,4-D in some instances, where you don’t want to get 2,4-D anywhere near tomatoes.

1 Like

@Olpea
Mark, thank you for the information!

I have never paid much attention to herbicides before, so all the Herbicide names in the PDF file sound foreign to me😟. Guess I have no choice but study them😀

Think I will go to big box store to see what they have there to start with, will come back to ask more questions later. Thank you again!

1 Like