Mystery Peach

Hello me again the one who ordered a peach from TyTy that everyone said is almost certainly not the variety I wanted. I was expecting maybe a terrible quality tree at worst but had I known they just willy-nilly send you whatever the hell they have laying around I certainly would not have purchased - lesson learned.

Here is a peach of the “same” variety I purchased last year (local nursery) that’s leafing out:

Here’s the Tyty peach leafing out:

Referring to the redness of leaves and veining, are these good indicatiors that this is in fact not the same variety? Or potentially diffent growing conditions since the TyTy tree was sent to me already leafed out?

Could be a matter of growing conditions. It’ll be hard to know until you just give them more time.

1 Like

Best if you put a couple of leaves from each tree and put them side by side. Then, take pic and post.

Some people here are very good at noticing the differences. Mark, aka @Olpea is one of the best when it comes to peaches.

3 Likes

Congratulations!
It is live and growing I told you !
My 20 years (not in US) with fruit trees tell me they both are of different varieties.
Thanks to God I only purchased two plants from TyTy Ga, a grape Ladies Finger and one Jujube, Lang. I will be happy if jujube takes off whatever variety but for grape I will be sorry as it is same or similar to Sunde Khani or Hussaini grape of my area.

The redness looks like peach leaf curl to me. Did you spray either tree for that?

1 Like

Definitely not leaf curl. Just new leaves and a happy tree, hopefully. I do wonder why no leaves are growing on the other stems, however🤔
(Please excuse the messy background we have a freeze tonight and I had to bring them in the garage)

2 Likes

Some of my leaves are reddish like that too so I hope it’s not leaf curl

Reddishness of the leaves can be an indication of varietal difference. But nutrition can also contribute to it. There are much better indicators of variety.

At this point I would advise to examine the leaf glands closely. Peaches have one of three different kinds.

Eglandular (no glands), globbose (round glands), and reniform (crescent shaped glands). Below is a picture of the three (in left to right order)

Of course matching gland types doesn’t mean the varieties are the same, but two different types of glands does guarantee the varieties are different.

Beyond that, you’ll have to wait for the trees to bloom to see if the blossoms are the same and if they bloom at the same time. If they bloom at the same time with the same type of bloom, then you’ll have to see if the fruit ripens at the same time, and looks the same. If all that is true, then you could safely assume the two trees are the same cultivar. Of course one could also send tissue to a lab for genetic testing, but obviously it’s not worth the expense or trouble for two trees.

2 Likes

It looks like all the leaf buds were killed on other stems (many things can cause that) mostly weather related. Some viruses cause tuffs of leaves at the end of shoots (i.e. yellow bud mosaic) but I doubt that’s what’s going on with your trees.

Thanks for explaining about the glands

1 Like

Having one hell of time trying to figure out if these leaf glands are the same or different. I think they are both crescents, can you confirm?

To me, the leaves in the whole look different. Left mystery has smaller more numerous “teeth” on the leaf edge. Right confirmed peach has larger less in number “teeth” on the leaf edge.

Left leaf is the tree in question, right leaf is the actual variety:

1 Like

Those are both reniform. But some varieties have more glands than others, so your pictures may well indicate two different varieties.

You would just need to look at a lot of leaves on both trees to see if the one on the right in your pics, consistently has more leaf glands. If so, you are probably looking at two different varieties.

1 Like