Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I really don’t have that much experience with plum trees, I do have more with cherry trees. Still only 6 or 7 years. I can say every one except Flavor King flowered the 2nd year but set little fruit. So I don’t think this is that unusual, so don’t give up on the tree just yet if you had poor set. I plan to hand pollinate all the flowers! Just to try and get some takes. Three or four would be fine with me.

I placed an order for one more Nadia today.

1 Like

I am waiting my Nadia from Raintree as well, Hopefully
They will send me a good looking size with some branches
Some of my tree get from them like a walking stick.

1 Like

Hi Bleedingdirt.
Could you tell what was bad experience if do not prune
Some branches off before planting, because I do not like
to prune my tree either. Thank you.

Hello Bleedingdirt.
Could you tell me about bad experience if we do not prune the branches
Before planting, because I do not want to do that either. Thank you.

I got a new Nadia from a Raintree today. It appeared to be in pretty good shape. Here is a picture of it along with Emerald Beaut and a 4x1 asian pear. Also a pic after I put it in the ground. Haven’t pruned it yet.

2 Likes

My two Nadias from last year were well-branched.

The only reason pruning is necessary is to balance out the top of the tree with the dug up, butchered roots. Another reason is to keep the tree small which is what I’m after.

Thank you, most of my fruit tree just started, a lot of thing I need
to share to learn.

It’s nice to know, thank you.

Very good looking, I am so excited. Thank you.

1 Like

My order has emeral beaut one also, but I still concern it’s a plum or pluot?

Emerald Beaut is a late maturing plum and a very good one. Kinda small but very sweet and holds on the tree a long time.

Yes as fruitnut said, it’s a Japanese plum. I bought it because of all the high praise it gets from everyone. It may ripen too late in my area but I’ve heard it’s still pretty damn good even before peak ripeness and it’s said to hang on the tree for 6-8 weeks.

It’s the best plum I ever taste, I get from Sam club last summer, that why
I need to plant one. But if it is pluot won’t works out in Puget sound area.

Great, I am very happy to know. Thank you.

Vincent, most definitely a plum:

http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/emerald-beaut-plum

I am having fruit this year for the first time on my Emerald Beaut. I bought it based on many of our forum members’ great recommendations (especially fruitnut), and it’s a test tree in my walk & pick orchard, as it’s a “zone pusher” for me. All of my higher ch trees have set this year. Think it is a function of both adequate ch this winter, and maturity, although the Emerald Beaut is a year younger than just about everything else in that intensive orchard.

Patty S.

1 Like

I’m not sure my EB will set much fruit this year. My Flavor King, Flavor Supreme, neighbor’s unknown Plum, Santa Rosa, Emerald Drop, Splash and one more Pluot…all dropped petals by the time EB flowered profusely. What else can bloom along with it? I grafted Burgundy on it.

Freeze some pollens and hand pollinate with a small paint brush later when EB blooms.

Tony

1 Like

Beauty, Elephant Heart, Superior, Late Santa Rosa, and Shiro are all later blooming plums. Beauty may not be quite late enough, though. Geo Pride pluot is another option, as is Flavor Finale pluot (mine is just really hitting peak bloom now). Don’t think you have to worry about late crops as I don’t, and Flavor Finale pluot comes highly recommended, so it earned a spot in my walk & pick orchard.

Patty S.