Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I’m not that happy with raintree, the weeping Santa Rosa was small and it is doing what your Nadia is doing. I will request a replacement. I’ll give it a couple more weeks. It might make it. It tried to leaf out micro-buds formed, they died. A few lower on the tree survived but are doing nothing. Oh well!

That advice makes sense to me too.

Gardening can be strange. I have a noid Asian plum that I pruned last year, and used some prunings for garden stakes. A 4 foot stick grew new branches at least a foot long. Deer ate off 3 of the branches but left one. I am planning to transplant it next year. So it started with no roots at all, just a stick from the top of the tree, and grew vigorously.

It might be that in storage and shipping, the buds that become new fine hair roots dessicate and die off, while a dormant branch that is cut off in cool weather maintained sleeping potential root buds and grew.

@Drew51 @scottfsmith

Could it be some pathogen rather than poor handling on their part?.

Mine (also from Raintree) has leafed out and does not look like it stalled.

Mike

It could be many things. Since the tree looked very healthy when it showed up I expect it froze on the way out to me. But I will probably never know for sure. It now has one leaf with a touch of green left.

I bought an old mixon free from a CA nursery 2 years ago and I too think it froze getting here. Bummer as it was a super healthy beautiful tree! If possible Scott, I would love to get scion of Mixon next winter. If you don’t mind? I’ll remind you when the time comes, if a go. I don’t have that much room, but can add 2 or 3 cultivars. Also if you don’t get another tree and your graft fails, since you bought it and paid royalties, I don’t have a problem, of course bob and others have it too.
I should have good scion as I’m not doing any pruning till late winter. In the photo the central leader will be cut down, a huge hunky piece for bigger rootstock.

Raintree was good about getting back to me on 2 dead trees that i had this year (Speckled Egg Nect/Sauzee King)…one was dead dead and the other the scion was dead/rootstock was alive.

Good, I’m about to contact them. I just checked my Santa Rosa, and it’s slowly dying the Cambium is brown. I’m writing them right now.

edit:
Request made.

Yeah… at least you got leafs on yours. As I was telling you a few months back mine did nothing. The new one I got from Bay Laurel was tall and grew out 8 branches. 6 up top and 2 down below. I’m going to train 1 of the 2 lower to a new central lead as the height is just a tad bit too tall for me (knocks the top of the garage when i have to move it in and out), and now with the branches it would for sure be too tall.

You were right Sean, the tree is really poor. March delivery from BL is a problem though. I lost the last tree delivered in March as it froze on the way here. Willis has it too, I could try them. I’m going for replacement right now.

Raintree said they would replace it, that was quick! I asked for 2016 delivery, not fall. I have had bad luck with fall trees.

I got lucky then. My trees from BL have thrived…but it was only a couple.

I like my trees as short as possible for container growing. One reason why i like growing out my own trees. I can get branching just above soil level. My 4 in 1 pluots have about 4 feet of trunk before the branching starts… add in the huge container (that is on wheels) and i have to tip it to get into the garage.

I like the small trees too, but with weeping trees you don’t cut it down until it reaches the height you want it to weep at. For me that will be 6-7 feet. When tied up, and cut at 7 feet it will weep at that point. All fruit will always be lower then.

1 Like

For those who were having issues with their Nadia’s, is this what they look like? This is what they look like back in April.

Post the latests pictures of your Nadias:

Do your Nadias have vigor similar to what you expect from either sweet cherry or Asian plum?

I don’t have Nadia but I did start Sweet Treat pluerry this year. It seems more delicate than plums or cherries I have grown from bare root starts. It is also an insect magnet - most of my plums and cherries have minimal insect foraging, while Sweet Treat has a lot.

I might buy Nadia this Winter if it seems to other growers like it is reasonably vigorous. But if it’s a prima donna, I don’t think I want it.

Oh, my goodness. That is the opposite experience I have with my Sweet Treat pluerries. They are very precocious. I had to do some very serious summer pruning last year, which was a smart thing. They are more in control this year, and I will still be doing summer pruning to bring them back down. They have really big trunks, too. This is their second season, and they look like they’ve been in the ground for 5 years. Finally got some fruit this year on both of them, as well as the Burgundy plum, and both bloomed at the same time. I planted my Nadia very late, so it is still establishing.

They have the vigor similar to a Stella cherry, but they are more drought tolerant than its parents. They are suceptible to aphids.

I have mixed reviews on my sweet treats, the one that is growing in the ground is growing very poorly, it hasn’t fruited yet. The potted one is growing super fast, but it is very suceptible to aphids. The good news is that it is loaded with fruit. I already tasteda few, they were not fully ripe yet, but they taste like a plum, then cherry, and finally a unique flavor dominates the fruit.

1 Like

Sweet treat plueeries:

3 Likes

Pluerry number two: